Female Anti-Establishment Characters And Why We Love Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

With the upcoming release of the new Hunger Games movie, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, I have reverted back to my middle school obsession with the Hunger Games franchise. Like many, I was an avid Hunger Games reader, cultured in the history of Panem, the thirteen districts and each of the tributes. The release of the prequel novel in 2020 reignited my interest and the approaching November 17th release date for the movie adaptation has me once again enthralled with the dystopian world that occupied my childhood. 

My recurring preoccupation with all things Hunger Games left me contemplating why this franchise is so enticing. Dystopian novels and series such as The Hunger Games and Divergent encapsulated my childhood in a way that I haven’t been able to successfully reproduce with any other series since. So, why is it that we are so captivated by these books and movies? What separates them so distinctly from other stories? 

I was watching an interview with Rachel Zegler, the star of The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes and I think that she helped me to finally answer these questions that have been nagging at me. When talking about the Hunger Games and her love for it, she mentioned how the atypical lead female character of Katniss Everdeen was what really drew her to the series. 

“This young woman who was anti-establishment, anti-government and really standing up for what’s right in a really unconventional way without an air of sweetness. There was nothing cordial about her either—she was very rough around the edges and it was amazing to read that.”

@entertainmenttonight

Lucy Gray Baird 🤝 Katniss Everdeen. Prepare to fall in love with Rachel Zegler as the mercurial District 12 tribute in the 10th annual Hunger Games. 🫡 ‘The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes’ hits theaters November 17th. These interviews were recorded prior to the SAG-AFTRA strike. #rachelzegler #hungergames

♬ sonido original – datzar

As Zegler explained, I think that one of the primary draws of these series is that they feature powerful and independent young women with their flaws and imperfections expertly woven into their characters. Often, female protagonists and heroines are painted as charming, delicate and endearing, whereas characters such as Katniss Everdeen are instead angry, blunt, impulsive and even awkward. I personally am much more drawn to flawed characters than other archetypal heroines and I might even go as far as to say that the dislikable aspects of these characters make them all the more likable. 

The sharper personalities of these female heroines give them a depth that really draws readers and viewers in. The lack of sweetness of Katniss resonates with audiences as it contributes to her authenticity and relatability as a character. Many of these characters are often on a journey of self-identity themselves and their imperfections are what make them all the more interesting. In a society that often demands perfection from its female characters, the unapologetic nature of anti-establishment heroines challenges preconceived notions and celebrates imperfection. 

As I eagerly await the release of The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, I am excited to see how the female protagonist, Lucy Gray Baird, fits into this narrative of unconventional female characters. As someone who read the book (no spoilers!), I found that the character of Lucy was complex and flawed, but in a way that was much different from Katniss Everdeen. With the film adaptation, I hope that we once again get to see a powerful and multifaceted female character take to the screen and provide us with a fresh perspective on the anti-establishment heroine. 

As the legacy of the Hunger Games continues, it is clear that this franchise is not only powerful in its ability to construct an elaborate dystopian society; it also portrays female characters who challenge the standard. These heroines bring a sense of empowerment to audiences of all ages with their independence, determination and commitment to be unapologetically themselves. 

Nicole is a third-year student at UCLA from Plymouth, Massachusetts pursuing an International Development Studies major and Global Health minor. She loves the beach, hiking, traveling, and coffee.