OLEHENRIKSEN display at Ulta (vertical)
OLEHENRIKSEN display at Ulta (vertical)
Photo by Ellie Dixon
Style > Beauty

EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT OLEHENRIKSEN’S LAUNCH AT ULTA & FINDING YOUR #OLEGLOW

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

For skincare pioneer and decades-long entrepreneur, Ole Henriksen, his brand revolves around a central philosophy: celebrating the inner glow and the outer glow of his worldwide clientele. In a world where confidence has never been the thief of joy to such an extent, the intentions of OLEHENRIKSEN Skincare always reflect their passion for “helping people look and feel their best, and building their self-esteem.” After having the opportunity to speak with the brand’s founder, Ole Henriksen, in an exclusive interview with Her Campus UCLA, it was beyond evident that his philosophy shines through in everything that he does: from his daily interactions with his team and his clients, to the foundations upon which he built not just a brand, but a means of living. 

“We emphasize the wellness model, because there is so much insecurity around young people. They’re not worthy enough, they’re not pretty enough, they’re not smart enough… which is so wrong because we all have something to contribute.”

Ole Henriksen

Decades prior to becoming the founder of a best-selling skincare brand, Ole introduced his signature glow to Sunset Boulevard in the early 80s. His skincare empire started with formulas hand-crafted in his kitchen that produced a glow so miraculous it attracted countless celebrities to his West Hollywood spa and eventually became recognized as none other than the “Ole Glow.” Ole’s transformative treatments combined with his unique “wellness model” approach to skincare not only earned his spa a stellar reputation, but also earned him his very own skincare line. 

Over 40 years later, in a continuous effort to bring the “Ole Glow” to the widest clientele possible, OLEHENRIKSEN Skincare launched at Ulta on January 1st, 2024. When discussing the launch with Ole, his excitement about expanding the brand’s reach was tangible, emphasizing how “being a part of the Ulta family is a huge honor.” For the brand, this immense honor also translates to the fact that their products are now sold at two of the largest beauty retailers in the world: Ulta and Sephora.

In order to ring in such a monumental launch, the brand celebrated with the #GlowTour, an interactive pop-up at three select Ulta locations. The defining feature of the #GlowTour, you might ask? Oh, just a decked out OLEHENRIKSEN truck that drove across the country to bring the pop-up to Miami, Austin, and Los Angeles.

It should be no surprise that Ole Henriksen attended every event, and being his ever-charming and dynamic self, wasted no time meeting hundreds of attendees, sharing the love for his brand, and shooting some show-stopping promo content. Ole was joined by several influencers offering meet and greets as well, including Mega-Influencer, Karen Sarahi Gonzalez at the Los Angeles pop-up. Judging from the length of the line to meet Ole and Karen, it’s clear that these two have earned their reputations as modern beauty experts.

@olehenriksen

#OLEONTHEGLOW MIAMI! Stop by @Ulta Beauty today until 5pm est to see what the #oleglow is all about! 12054 SW 88th St, Miami, FL 33186 #popup #popupevent #ultabeauty #olehenriksen

♬ Happy Summer – Vin Music

When I inquired about the inspiration behind taking the “#OleGlow On the Go,” Ole was quick to credit Rachel Berg, the Vice President of Global Marketing at OLEHENRIKSEN. I had the pleasure of meeting Rachel at the pop-up as well, where we discussed a driving factor behind this unique launch celebration: inclusivity. 

Instead of opting for an invite-only launch party, which has been quite characteristic of many skincare brands during this age of influencing, the #GlowTour welcomed anyone and everyone to celebrate the brand and learn how to achieve the iconic “Ole Glow” from members of the brand team themselves.

“I think in terms of us going to Ulta, it really is about bringing the ‘Ole Glow’ to as many people as possible, and helping them understand what our brand is all about, which is transforming lives through not only our products, but through Ole’s philosophy.”

Rachel Berg – VP Global Marketing at OLEHENRIKSEN

Inside the OLEHENRIKSEN truck, attendees received free skincare consultations with the option to test out select products, including those from the best-selling Glow Cycle. Outside of the skincare truck, there were games with an array of different prizes and the offer to take advantage of an exclusive store discount at Ulta. 

At the event, Ole’s wellness model shined through no matter what angle you were looking from; every brand team member was warm and welcoming, never running out of kind things to say about someone’s skin during a consultation or forgetting to thank people for their support of the brand. After experiencing first hand the dedication that this team holds for changing the way that people treat and think about their skin, I truly believe that Ole’s philosophy could never get lost amongst the brand’s continuous expansion. In an industry that often capitalizes off young people’s insecurities, OLEHENRIKSEN is changing the tides of beauty and skincare by emphasizing the critical nature of cultivating one’s inner beauty so that the rest can come naturally. 

At the time of the LA pop-up, I happened to have been in the midst of my own skin predicament: an acne flare up. I have struggled with acne on and off for the last three years, so when I started using several dermatologist prescribed topicals and taking an oral medication, I assumed that the breakouts would be quick to disappear. However, after weeks of minimal results, I realized that the intense strength of the products had actually caused further damage to my skin barrier.

Therefore, the morning of the launch event, I was a bundle of nerves, feeling self-conscious about attending a skincare event with less-than-perfect skin. However, as soon as I started talking to Ole about his experience with cystic acne as a young dancer living in Jakarta, Indonesia, I felt comfortable enough to lay down my defenses and lean into talking about my own experience.

After discussing my past and present skin concerns, Ole personally recommended several products for me that targeted barrier restoration and dark spots. So, when the OLEHENRIKSEN brand team generously offered to send me products to try out, mainly products from The Glow Cycle, I was beyond excited to experience the world-renowned “Ole Glow” myself.

“Indonesia had a huge impact on my life on many levels. I was up against suddenly having cystic acne, and I think what’s amazing is when you’re up against adversity, whatever it may be, you look for solutions.”

Ole Henriksen

A few days later, when I came home to a package from the team, I could not get the products on my face fast enough. In this package, was the Glow Cycle Skincare Gift Set and two new flavors of their Pout Preserve Peptide Lip Treatments – both of which are now sold at Ulta! The Glow Cycle is one of the brand’s best-sellers, and is backed by 40 years of clinical testing; the set includes the Glow2OH Dark Spot Toner, Banana Bright Vitamin C Serum, and the Strength Trainer Peptide Boost Moisturizer. Marketed as “simple but effective,” this set focuses on four key steps: “brighten, strengthen, renew, repeat.”  

Beginning with the morning steps of my routine, I was immediately impressed by the vitamin C serum; this treatment felt silky and gentle on my skin, and caused no stinging sensation or irritation, which was a first for me in the realm of vitamin C. That serum, in combination with the peptide moisturizer, which has quickly become my favorite moisturizer on the market, left my skin feeling plump, hydrated, and relaxed. Oftentimes moisturizers can leave my skin feeling more dry than it was before, but the “balm-to-gel” texture of the moisturizer solved that problem before it could arise. The texture reminds me of a cleansing balm without the greasiness, making it safe for those with skin types that tend to be more oily.

I was also really looking forward to trying the toner, because years of fighting off blemishes has left behind dark spots and scarring on my cheeks. As someone with sensitive skin, I was really impressed by how non-stripping the toner is, and I’ve already noticed a reduction in the spots’ pigmentation. It has also helped even out the texture of my skin, which often fluctuates drastically between smooth and bumpy depending on breakouts. 

Less than a week after starting The Glow Cycle, I started to see results: my skin looked brighter, felt stronger, and showed much less evidence of past and present acne. The most convincing piece of evidence, however, was the text I received from my mom after sending her a skin update photo. It read, verbatim, “OH WOW!!! Much better!” And we all know that mothers never lie about these matters…

I also have no shortage of praise to give to the Pout Preserve Peptide Lip Treatments. What some may deem as having too many lip products, I deem as having extensive knowledge about which lip products deserve the hype, and the this product very much deserves it. I received two new flavors, the Strawberry Sorbet and the Cocoa Crème, both of which smell just as good as they feel. The formula is rich, smooth, and not at all sticky, which is a key component of a good lip treatment. Both flavors also have subtle tints to them: baby pink and sheer brown. I was taken aback by how shiny the formula is, which makes it perfect for people who are looking to achieve the look of a gloss without the drying effects. I use these lip treatments during all hours of the day – whether as a true daily lip treatment or as a hydrating finisher to my going-out lip combo.

After finding such great results from the products that Ole recommended to me, and consequently starting to feel more confident in my own skin, I started to reflect on the conversation that I had with him and his incredible brand team. Since then, I keep fixating on one particularly moving segment of our interview. 

While many of the people that I surround myself with have experienced some kind of a skin concern, one thing that made my time with Ole feel all the more impactful was our shared experience of later-onset acne. At least in my experience, it can be extremely challenging trying to navigate the world as a young adult while simultaneously feeling uncomfortable and oftentimes embarrassed in your own skin. Because skin concerns can result in a heightened sense of self-consciousness, I was eager to know what advice Ole had for young people struggling with their skin or with their self-confidence. He, of course, did not disappoint.

“It really is about sharing positive messages to yourself. Talk to that mirror. Tell that mirror what it is you love about yourself. And the more you do this, the more it becomes a part of your thinking.” 

Ole Henriksen

As Ole discussed the importance of engaging in positive self-talk and loving “that mirror image,” I realized just how much the “Ole Glow” has informed both his brand’s philosophy and his personal philosophy. The “Ole Glow” has two inherent facets, both of which are equally as important: an inner glow, which is not something that can be found in a bottle or a tube, and an outer glow, a radiant external energy that is both contagious and alluring. This kind of glow that he describes is as abstract as it is plainly observable, and as internal as it is external. But we can only achieve this outer glow once we have fostered a mindset that paints ourselves in a light of worthiness and allows us to engage in positive introspection. Ultimately, with this mindset, and of course, with the right products, the glow is always right around the corner.

As the OLEHENRIKSEN brand enters 2024 with a highly successful Ulta launch already under their belt, I have no doubt that they will accomplish their vision of bringing the “Ole Glow” to their widest client base yet. With a brand team as creative and inclusive as theirs, and a founder who injects warmth, positivity, and unwavering energy into everything that he does, I know that Ole’s philosophy will continue to promote unapologetic acts of self-love amongst his supporters and more importantly, continue to transform lives.

Ellie is a second-year Global Studies major at UCLA, from Charlotte, NC. Her favorite author is Sally Rooney, and she loves re-reading books, playing field hockey, cooking for friends, and photographing them on her camera. In the summer, you can find her in downtown Manhattan peeking into a vintage store or writing in a coffee shop.