Style > Beauty

Embrace And Accentuate Your Curls With These 5 TikTok Approved Techniques

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Growing up, I never knew how to properly take care of my curls. My mom and my older sister have pin-straight hair, so I always naively followed the same routine and used the same products as them. Since moving to college, I’ve started conducting some research on social media and experimenting with new types of hair care. Curly hair TikTok has been a fantastic resource for me, as I’ve discovered how to balance moisture and protein, battle frizz and maintain length. Navigating how to nourish your curls can be a long journey, so here are my favorite TikTok tips that can lead your curls on their way to reaching their full potential:

Forming a cast: how to properly use gel

The concept of gel casting was the hardest technique for me to wrap my head around when browsing through curly girl TikTok. I’ve always shied away from products that might make my hair “crunchy,” but turns out there’s a way to use the crunch to your advantage. Basically, forming a gel cast is when you apply a layer of gel or mousse all over damp or wet hair. You then leave the firm hold product in your hair so that it creates a shell-like cast around each curl. After leaving the cast to air dry, you can scrunch out the brittle texture and reveal defined, non-frizzy curls that will beautifully hold their shape. If you try out forming a cast, just remember to apply your gel evenly and not be afraid of using a lot of product!

Co-washing: how to limit shampooing

One of the first rules you’ll discover if you so much as glance through curly hair TikTok is that you shouldn’t over wash your hair. Shampooing too often strips your strands of the natural oils that help your curls thrive. Co-washing is a great alternative for days when you want to wash your hair without the negative side effects. As opposed to traditional shampooing, co-washing involves washing your hair with conditioner (or a special cleansing conditioner). You use the conditioner as you would a normal shampoo, washing it off in the shower. Mixing some co-washing days into your hair care routine can be highly beneficial, as it will leave your curls softer and far more moisturized. If you experiment with co-washing, just beware of potential product buildup! Real shampoo will be necessary at times to clear your scalp of residue.

Diffusing: how to safely dry curls

Inspired by TikTok routines, I tried a diffuser out for the first time last month, and I immediately fell in love. In the past, I’ve only ever air dried my hair because hairdryers turn my curls into untameable frizz. Diffusers, on the other hand, combat frizz by dispersing the air stream in order to preserve your curls. The way that I like to use this dryer attachment is by first drying the ends of my hair first and then slowly moving the tool up towards my roots. I never put the heat all the way on high, and I like to tilt my head to the side and forward in order to encourage more volume. Now that I’ve discovered the joys of using a diffuser, I no longer have to wear my hair wet at inconvenient times for fear of losing all curl definition.

Finger coiling: how to ensure curl definition

If you crave maximum definition for your curls (and you have an extra chunk of time to spare), try pairing one of the previous techniques with finger coiling. The name is pretty self-explanatory, but in short, finger coiling is when you saturate small sections of your wet hair in a styling product (like a medium hold curl cream) and wind each individual curl around your finger. I’ve learned on TikTok that you can even play around with coiling your hair around one finger versus two fingers in order to find your desired shape! If you want to try this technique out, be careful to slowly release the hair as you create the coil, so that you don’t end up with any knots. For a long time, I assumed that coiling is just a waste of time, but I’ve found that the attention to detail really makes my curls more pronounced and bouncy.

Plopping: how to create volume

Last but not least, it’s impossible to scroll through curly hair TikTok without the word “plopping” popping up every few videos. Plopping is an easy and effective way to dry your hair while promoting volume and definition, limiting frizz and speeding up drying time. It’s an all-in-one step! In order to plop, you need to lay a T-shirt or microfiber towel on your bathroom counter and tilt your wet hair over the fabric. With your head facing down, tie the fabric around your hair. I’ve found that plopping is a gentle and simple way to dry my hair and that it can even help remove some excess product if I’m a bit heavy-handed with my creams. When trying to plop, just remember to avoid attempting this technique with a traditional bath towel because it will be too rough on your strands!

Embrace your hair texture and treat your curls to some TLC with these simple tips. Don’t feel pressured to try them all at once; instead, slowly incorporate each step into your wash day. I know that it can take some time to get used to the new techniques, but stay persistent. I promise that the results will be worth your while!

Kate is a third-year English major at UCLA, hailing from San Francisco. When she's not editing articles for Her Campus at UCLA, she enjoys getting lost in a good book and experimenting with vegan recipes.