Eat This, Not That: Festive Fall Drinks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

It’s that time of year again!  Starbucks, Coffee Bean, Kerckhoff Coffee House, and even Bruin Café have them… seasonal lattes!  Pumpkin, cinnamon spice, apple, and peppermint lattes are now available at your favorite coffee place, whether that be on or off campus.  While these festive drinks can be morning caffeine boosts, afternoon pick-me ups, or anytime of the day treats, they are often way too high in sugar and fats.  In general, coffee has many health benefits and according to Frank Hu, MD, MPH, PhD at the Harvard School of Public Health, “There is certainly much more good news than bad news, in terms of coffee and health.”  Coffee drinkers have been shown to be less likely to have type II diabetes, Parkinson’s disease, dementia, and fewer cases of certain cancers.  The problem with our favorite seasonal coffee drinks is that they often have a ton of added creamers and syrups…not to mention mounds of whipped cream!  Suddenly coffee’s health benefits are masked by heaps of sugar, fat, and calories. Lucky for you, HerCampus has come up with some delicious alternatives to order at your favorite coffee stops! Everyone deserves their favorite pumpkin spice latte every once in a while, but these options are perfect for all of the other days!

Starbucks:

Splurge On:

Grande Pumpkin Spice Latte (16 oz)
Calories- 380
Calories from fat- 120
Total fat- 13g
Cholesterol- 17%
Sugar- 49 g
Protein-14 g
Calcium- 50%

*These are all of the festive autumn and holiday flavors at Starbucks and the calorie and sugar count differences for a grande-sized latte.  The difference between an eggnog and cinnamon dolce latte is 200 calories and 10 grams of sugar!

Crème Brule- 420 calories, 47 g sugar
Cinnamon Dolce-260 calories, 38 g sugar
Eggnog- 460 calories, 48 g sugar
Gingerbread-320 calories, 37 g sugar
Peppermint Mocha-410 calories, 54 g sugar
Salted Caramel-420 calories, 56 g sugar

Save on:

Grande (16 oz) Skinny Peppermint Mocha
*new at Starbucks this year!
Calories- 130
Calories from fat- 15
Total fat- 1.5g
Cholesterol- 2%
Sugar- 417g
Protein-13 g
Calcium- 35%

*For more information on healthy drinks at Starbucks all year round make sure to check out HunrgyGirl.com.  http://www.hungry-girl.com/biteout/show/1914  

BruinCafe:
For everyone living in the dorms, use these tips for healthier coffee drinks on campus at Bcaf or any other location!

*Ask for soymilk or skim milk instead of 2% or whole milk

*Order your coffee with the least amount of added sweeteners as possible and then add in a sugar packet or teaspoon of honey

*Ask for no whipped cream

*Ask for an extra cup and split with a friend.

*Pair your coffee drink with a healthy snack such as a wheat bagel with peanut butter, yogurt, almonds, or fresh fruit/vegetables so that you will also be satisfied by your snack and less likely to want to drink the whole latte.

*Most importantly, use your favorite latte as a treat after an especially stressful day like your last final of the quarter. 

Practice healthy eating on those stressful days leading up your finals and then reward yourself with your favorite treat, you deserve it!  Remember that it is ok to enjoy a festive latte every so often!

Photo Credits:
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/coffee-new-health-food
http://www.starbucks.com/menu 

Nicole Cremer is currently a sophomore at UCLA majoring in Neuroscience. She has a passion for journalism and loves being involved in a variety of extra-curricular activities, including doing research at the UCLA Brain Tumor institute, volunteering with Global Medical Brigades where she traveled to Ghana this past winter to provide health care to over 1,200 people, contributing to the Daily Bruin newspaper as a Video Reporter, and being a part of Gamma Phi Beta Sorority. Before becoming the Her Campus Campus Correspond for UCLA, she was a founding member of Her Campus UCLA and wrote a weekly health blog. In her spare time, Nicole enjoys exploring new restaurants and sites around Los Angeles, listening to country music, running (and training for half marathons…maybe a full one someday!), hiking, and spending as much time as she can at the beach!
Madeline Hunt is a senior at UCLA majoring in Communication Studies with a minor in Spanish. Originally from the laidback beach-town of Santa Barbara, the California native finds the fast-paced nature and eccentricity of LA extremely exciting. Once more, she decided to expand her horizons when she studied abroad this past fall in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Madeline wants to pursue a career in the entertainment industry and is considering broadcast journalism and public relations as potential options. On campus, she is currently the Public Relations & Marketing Director for the student- run organization Fashion and Student Trends and an intern at E! News. She served as an entertainment reporter on UCLA’s accredited student newspaper, The Daily Bruin, under the video division and is a current member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. During her free time, she enjoys playing tennis, exercising, going to the beach, shopping (online shopping will be the death of her!), reading Glamour and Cosmo, eating Mexican food and sushi, spending time with her friends, practicing her Spanish, and satisfying her weakness for caffeine with Starbuck’s lattes.