Off-Duty Police Officer Attacks Thirteen Year in Anaheim Community

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

*Photo courtesy of the New York Times

On February 21, 2017, Kevin J. Ferguson, an off duty officer,  attacked a thirteen year old boy in his neighborhood in Anaheim, California, and news went viral after the video recording was released. According to the boy, he was defending a girl from Ferguson because he called her a “c*nt” for stepping onto his lawn. Ferguson then dragged the boy onto his property, presumably to put him at fault for being on his property, and pulled out his gun and shot the boy. Images have surfaced that he is bruised down his neck and onto his shoulder and was arrested along a couple of his friends who came to his defense. Ferguson was suspended for 72 hours, but was not arrested.

When it came to the attention of the media that Ferguson was not truly punished, protests raged outside his home, demanding justice and coming to the defense of the boy. A car parked outside his house got keyed with the message “FTP,” and it is currently reported that he and his family has left town for his safety. The case is currently on going and new information is expected to be revealed within the next few days.

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.