Style

Dressing For Success: How My School Wardrobe Boosts Productivity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Whenever I envisioned going to college, the part that I most eagerly anticipated was not the independence and freedom of living on my own but the excitement of getting to wear sweatpants to class every day. Coming from a high school where I woke up each morning to groggily don the same plaid skirt and polo, the ability to wear comfortable clothes to class each day mesmerized me. 

Yet, years of private school and uniforms, if they accomplished nothing else, inadvertently conditioned me to care more about my appearance and what I wore each day. I found myself unable to truly place myself in an academic mindset without being dressed and ready to face the day ahead.

Putting daily outfits together initially presented as a struggle for me. I was used to dressing for only a couple of days a week, bound to the same outfit for the majority of my days. The creativity that came with assembling an outfit every day that I was happy with was draining, and I nearly abandoned my mental commitment to dress well for class the whole week. 

However, the results of my endeavor were astounding. Facing each day dressed in an outfit that I was proud of boosted my attentiveness in class and my productivity throughout my school day. I found myself more likely to get work done in a library or a coffee shop on campus rather than trudge home to my apartment the minute I was done with class. Additionally, I discovered that I was waking up on Saturdays and Sundays and immediately putting together an outfit, launching me forward with my day instead of resorting to lying in bed through mid-afternoon. Starting my mornings by getting ready and being happy with my appearance kickstarted my days and prompted me to fill them with more productive pursuits. 

While you will still find me on many a Sunday afternoon in my pajamas at 3 PM, I now know how I can best pull myself out of my inactivity and procrastination. Getting up, changing my outfit, and being happy and confident with myself and my appearance are crucial ways in which I can feel and be productive. 

Although I am thrilled to be free from the rigidity of my high school uniforms, they clearly left a profound impression on me, inspiring me to face each day looking and feeling my best. I am in complete support of being comfortable in class, but if you find yourself struggling to be productive and lively, try establishing a similar routine that works for you. With luck, the effort and energy that you put into what you wear will manifest in your classes and productivity. 

Nicole is a third-year student at UCLA from Plymouth, Massachusetts pursuing an International Development Studies major and Global Health minor. She loves the beach, hiking, traveling, and coffee.