Career

Dreaming Big: Why I’m Not Afraid To Go After My Dream Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

It always starts with that one question, “What’s your major?” I start preparing myself for the responses I’m about to receive once I answer, “Korean, my major is Korean.” Blank stares. Possible silence that extends to an uncomfortable level as I prepare for the common, “what are you going to do with that?” It’s not uncommon to get these kinds of reactions from people – especially from family and friends. I do understand they are concerned because they want the best for me, but sometimes they may actually be screaming behind their words to reconsider my major. I admit, Korean is a pretty interesting choice, and from what one individual said, “risky.” However, the reason behind my decision is one I am proud of.

india china on map
Photo by James Coleman from Unsplash

What is the reason you ask? Well, I combined both my passion for the arts and entertainment with my love for the Korean language and culture. Ever since I was little, I wanted to become an actress; however, as the eldest daughter of two Mexican immigrants, that dream wasn’t encouraged. Professions in medicine, law and politics were on my parents’  minds. But for a little girl passionate about all the opposite career choices, my parents’ dreams for me were ones I couldn’t envision for myself. I learned about Korean entertainment in middle school when I watched my first Korean drama. It was the intriguing storylines and the breathtaking cinematography that drew me to watch more. I later began to listen to the drama’s soundtracks and fell in love with Korean music as I discovered so many talented artists. The love I had for Korean entertainment soon developed into a passion for Korean culture and language. 

As the years went by, K-Pop began to gain popularity worldwide. Starting with the 2012 hit “Gangnam Style” by PSY, to the rise of BTS and BlackPink, I began noticing the increasing number of interviews and K-Pop conventions with K-Pop groups on YouTube and TV shows. I thought to myself: who are the people who work behind the scenes to bring these celebrities to these events? Why don’t I combine my desire to work in the entertainment industry and my love for Korea into a career? Hence, my dream career was born.

You are probably still wondering what my dream career is, right? To be honest, I don’t know the name of my dream career exactly. I just know I want to work with Korean entertainment companies on bringing their K-Pop groups to the USA and Mexico. I especially want to focus on the beloved Korean actors and actresses who don’t get as much media attention here in North America. These days, I’ve been interested in social media management and marketing within the Korean Entertainment industry. The downside is that I have no professional experience, and I have been getting very discouraged. It was not until recently when my friend shared something with me that my perspective changed. She said, ”believe it or not, you already have experience. You share your favorite groups by sharing posts on social media, and you market a brand when you buy albums and stream their songs because you are invested in them.” That small contribution as a fan is significant in building a company’s reputation and popularity. I realized everyone has the opportunity to take those everyday actions and develop them into skills they can use in a resume for a future job or internship. All you need is the drive and grit to move forward with it.

Person looking outside of an airplane
Photo by Tim Gouw from Unsplash

Following your dreams always seems intimidating, especially when you are chasing a career where there are a limited number of people to look up to. When I search for any foreigners working within the Korean Entertainment industry and there is no one to share that job experience, that alone can be unmotivating. Although it will require a lot of networking, gaining experience and endless hours of language practice, I have the blessing to pave my own unique road to the career that I want. All in the hopes of one day becoming a role model to other individuals that share the same dream. The thought of a Mexican-American young woman wanting to work in the Korean Entertainment industry seems very unusual, but that is just who I am. Why be the same as everyone when you have the choice to make and work for what you love?

Marvin is a Junior majoring in Korean and (hopefully) minoring in Comparative Literature. Her dream of living in LA has become a reality, even if she lives the UCLA experience through Zoom.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.