DNCE, Noah Cyrus & More Perform at MTV VMA Weekend Best New Artist Concert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

In honor of the MTV VMAs on Sunday August 27th, MTV hosted a series of concerts in Los Angeles at The Avalon. Three nights of amazing line-ups and we were lucky enough to see DNCE (2016 “Best New Artist” winner), Bebe Rexha, Noah Cyrus (2017 “Best New Artist” Nominee) and Sammi Sanchez (“Feed the Beat” Artist) at the third and final concert on Saturday August 26th. 

First one to the stage was Sammi Sanchez, who really impressed me. I had never really heard of her before, but I left the show a fan. All her songs had such a fun beat and reminded me of Becky G. The entire audience was dancing along and had a great time.

Noah Cyrus kept the party going by performing her big hits “Make Me,” “Electric Love,” “I’m Stuck” and “Almost Famous.” The “Best New Artist” nominee slowed things down by covering The Weeknd’s “I Feel it Coming.” Billy Ray was even spotted in the crowd cheering on his baby girl, giving us even more teen Miley flashbacks than ever before. Just like her big sis, Noah has an amazing voice and really knows how to take control of the stage. She blew the audience away and gave quite a show. She ended her set with “Make Me Cry” and had the audience singing along. 

While we didn’t like Bebe Rexha’s outfit tonight, we did enjoy her performance which included rants about fake friends, bad boys, and being a “bitter” New Yorker. 

She had some catchy songs and kept the audience dancing and singing along. She also sang our favorites like “My Myself and I,” “Hey Mama,” “In the Name of Love” and “I Got You.”

The concert concluded with a strange Lion King themed introduction as DNCE walks out in lion masks. Joe Jonas hold up a lion stuffed animal as “Circle of Life” is playing in the background. This marks the first of many attempts by DNCE to use nostalgia to get the audience excited. They also performed a medley of 90s covers hits including TLC’s “No Scrubs” and Spice Girls’ “Wannabe.” The 2016 “Best New Artist” Winners did not disappoint the crowd of screaming girls, one of which was facetiming her friend DNCE’s entire set.

DNCE finished the show by performing their hit “Cake by the Ocean” while the entire audience danced and sang along.

The entire concert was filmed and will be airing as part of a special with MTV, so be on the lookout for more information on that and be sure to tune in to the MTV Video Music Awards Sunday night! Be sure to keep an eye out on our Snapchat (@HerCampus.com) as we talk to your favorite musicians on the red carpet!

Sara Zaghi was the Campus Correspondent and Editor in Chief of Her Campus at UCLA, which rose to the #1 chapter in the Her Campus Chapter Network of 370+ Campuses during her tenure, from 2015-2019. Zaghi is a self-proclaimed "Professional Fangirl” and currently works in entertainment and fashion publicity. In 2016, Sara was listed as one of Her Campus' Top 22 Under 22 Most Inspiring College Women. Check out Sara's College Girl's Travel Guides for Catalina Island, Las Vegas, New York, Napa Valley, Boston, and Chicago. Contact Sara via email: Sara_Zaghi@yahoo.com