Photo of my DIY matcha
Photo of my DIY matcha
Rebecca Karlous
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

For me, and maybe some of you, caffeine is a must to stay energized. The benefits of matcha are not that it only contains caffeine, but is high in antioxidants, can boost metabolism, immune system and lower cholesterol. Plus, it does not stain your teeth in comparison to coffee. I have always struggled to make the “perfect” matcha latte at home. It either comes out as bitter and gritty or I have added too much milk to the ratio. As of a couple of weeks ago, I have figured out the best DIY matcha latte that 1) won’t break the budget 2) tastes just like a cafe matcha latte and 3) will get the caffeine kick you might need. 

Bec’s Matcha Latte:

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup of Oat milk
  • 1/4 cup of water
  • 1/4 cup of nutpods hazelnut creamer
  • Hand milk frother (got mine for cheap on Amazon)
  • Unsweetened Japanese matcha

Photo of my DIY Matcha
Rebecca Karlous

Heat milk (if drinking warm)

Combine oat milk, water and creamer into a cup and mix. Heat on microwave for 1 minute and 45 seconds.

Add matcha

Add one matcha packet to the beverage.

Froth

With the handheld milk frother, mix the matcha and beverage to desired consistency. Mix enough that there so should be no remaining matcha powder left over.

Enjoy the caffeine

Pour into your desired cup. If drinking cold, add a few iced cubes and enjoy with a non-plastic straw.

Try the matcha latte at home and let us know what you think! Be sure to take a picture and post on your Instagram story with the tag @hercampusucla.

Rebecca (also goes by Bec and Becca) is an English major at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), and an Assistant Editorial Director and writer for HC at UCLA. In her free time, she loves a strong oat milk latte at a local LA coffee shop, catching the sunset at the beach and hunting for the perfect breakfast burrito.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.