Dirty Dancing – A New Take on a Classic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Nobody puts Baby in a corner – so make sure you tune in on May 24th. ABC is premiering its new adaptation of the classic 1987 musical “Dirty Dancing” this Wednesday at 8pm. 

You’ve heard the songs before, you’re familiar with the big overhead lift (it’s the one Ryan Gosling brags about in “Crazy, Stupid, Love”), now you can watch the story unravel with a brand new, star-studded cast. 

Abigail Breslin stars in this TV movie as Baby. You may recognize her from her baby days in “Little Miss Sunshine.” Her main love interest is Jonny Castle, played by Colt Prattes. Jonny is not just easy on the eyes, he can sing, can dance, and there are a few shirtless scenes in there to watch out for. 

Joining these two are Sarah Hyland, as Lisa, Baby’s older sister, and Nicole Scherzinger as Penny, Jonny’s dance partner. The cast list continues with more impressive names and incredible talents. 

The Paley Center for Media presented an early screening of the film, so we got a sneak peek and some off screen insight from the cast! 

“Dirty Dancing” tells a story of how one summer at a family resort changed everything for Frances “Baby” Houseman. This is the perfect movie as we dream about days beyond finals – the sun shining, summer flings to come, and worry free days. 

After the screening, the cast held a panel and talked about their experience filming together. The cast shared a close relationship, reminiscing on bonding activities such as zip lining, horseback riding, hiking, and looking for waterfalls together. Everyone wanted to be on set, even on their off days. 

If going on adventures weren’t enough to bond these actors, there was even a blood bond of sort — Beau Smart removed leeches from Trevor Einhorn after he fell into a waterfall. Smart and Einhorn played Neil Kellerman and Billy Kotsecki respectively. 

The cast was hilarious throughout the panel, joking with each other as well as the audience. Einhorn even sang for the audience! Of course, we documented it for your enjoyment. 

When asked about what they wish the audience would take away from the movie, the cast had similar desires for viewers to experience the variety of emotions exhibited in the film and be able to make personal connections.

This adaptation undoubtedly pays homage to the original film. Your heart becomes full when you watch the original, said Colt Pratte. For the ABC version, Pratte hopes to make viewers smile and have fun. Sarah Hyland had a more universal message, she hoped “Dirty Dancing” will help viewers “remember to be yourself and not care what others think of you, as long as you are happy with yourself.” 

Don’t miss the TV premiere this week, and if you can’t wait that long the movie’s soundtrack is available now on iTunes. 

Christy is a 2nd year Communications major at UCLA. Originally from New York, she is taking advantage of going to school in LA since she loves the beach, outdoor events and adventures around the city. Christy is also a proud member of the UCLA women's ultimate frisbee team. Some other things she is interested in includes traveling, photography, and drawing. You can find her on Instagram @christylaugh!
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.