Style > Decor

Decorating On a Budget: Make Your College Apartment Truly Yours

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

It’s that time of year again. As we finish up the school year, it means our leases are finishing up as well, and moving season is upon us. Maybe you’re moving from the dorms into your first apartment. Or maybe the apartment that seemed like a great deal turned out to be awful, so you’re moving to a new complex. Or you may even be staying in the same place next year. Regardless of your situation, we’re all unified by the same desire: to make our apartments own own. And what better way than with affordable decorations?

Okay, so the idea to write this article came to me as I saw a plethora of art TikToks on my For You Page and decided my roommates and I should really make some art for next year. I immediately texted them about doing an art night and then realized I should probably come up with a few ideas for how to decorate.

We’re college students. We don’t have the budget to hire interior designers or get all our furniture from a Pottery Barn, but let’s be real, is that even the college aesthetic? I think if my apartment looked like it could be the storefront of a Crate & Barrel, then I’m doing something wrong. So, with that being said, here are three ways to DIY your living space and make it your own for a low price.

Make your own art pieces

I am currently in the process of buying canvas boards, paint and glue because what better way to show off your own personal style than by making your own art? My goal with this project is to have everyone in my apartment make their own canvas so we’ll have a little piece of ourselves hung up in our space. I’ve warned my roommates that my canvas is probably going to be some homage to Taylor Swift or Harry Styles, but I promise I’ll make it classy. But really, do anything you want with this! Do an original art piece, a quote, a song or just anything you think will be nice to look at!

Lights Set the Ambiance

Another easy way to elevate your space is through lighting. And no, I do not mean the god-awful LED colorful strip lights. We’ve grown past that. What I’m referring to is white LEDs, fairy lights, sunset lamps and even colored light bulbs. Each kind gives a unique and cute aesthetic to your space. If you want it to feel cozy, go with the fairy lights. Modern? White LEDs behind surfaces and under countertops are perfect. And if you want something a little more whimsical, try colored light bulbs under lampshades. It’ll add a light pop of color to your space. 

Collect Trinkets

This one is really up to your own interpretation, but I think another fun way to add some personality to your space is to fill it up with trinkets. These could be a collection of items you either thrift, find off Facebook Marketplace or gather from your own experiences. I had a conversation with a friend the other day that really put this idea into perspective for me. His apartment is full of random items from traffic cones to a mysterious desk that no one knows the origins of. He told me he loves his apartment because everything in it has a story behind it. You don’t need some fancy mid-century aesthetic as long as you feel at home in your apartment. Sometimes the best decor is the unconventional type.

Laura Claypool-Postcards Dorm Wall Decor Photos Polaroids
Laura Claypool / Her Campus

No matter how you decide to decorate your space for next year, just have fun with it! Make it uniquely your own and people will take note. The only way to have a poorly decorated apartment is to do nothing at all with it.

Hi :) My name is Jade and I am a second year at UCLA! I am a double major in communications and cognitive science and I am super excited to be apart of Her Campus