IMG 0972jpeg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
IMG 0972jpeg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Sara Zaghi

Decorate Your Cake and Eat it Too at Duff’s Cakemix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

As a big Food Network fan, I was extremely excited to visit Ace of Cakes‘ Duff Goldman’s DIY cake and cupcake decorating studio and decorate my own cake. Upon arrival, I was mesmerized by the beautifully decorated cakes all over the store. While these creations looked complicated, a staff member assured me that there were easy “how-to” guides for each design and that they could provide guidance for me to create the perfect cake.

The first step was to choose the cake flavor and size. They offer funfetti and chocolate cakes baked fresh at a local bakery with Duff’s original recipe. Since it was so hard to pick between the two flavors, I decided to go with a two-tier cake with funfetti on the bottom and chocolate on top.

The next step was to pick a fondant color. While the cakes come ready with bright colored fondant on top, you are not confined to keeping that color fondant. Depending on your dream cake design, you can work with the staff to mix a new color fondant and change the cake. It’s really cool to see how they mix the colors and use the machines to put the fondant on the cake. 

Then it’s time to get creative and channel my inner artist. We put on our aprons and headed to the supplies table. With an overwhelming amount of resources and supplies, I had the time of my life decorating the cake. My friends and I had so much fun testing out the different frostings, sprinkles, fondants, and decorating tools. 

We mixed fondants to create a light green color and used cookie cutters to turn that fondant into leaves. Then I used the fondant tools to draw out a pineapple and used frosting and water to get the fondant and glitter to stick to the cake. Lastly, we used frosting to glue the beads all around the cake and give it a classy finish. When one looks at this cake, it looks super complicated but in reality, it was really easy to create. We spent about an hour and a half in total on decorating the cake and our photoshoot afterwards.

Visiting Duff’s Cakemix reminded me of my childhood days at Color Me Mine, except I got to leave with a yummy cake instead of a useless cup. Everyone loved the delicious and beautiful two-tiered cake and was impressed by my talented decorating skills. I’m grateful for the expert tips and guidance from the Duff’s Cakemix Pros for helping me create my perfect cake and have a fun day with my friends.

Sara Zaghi was the Campus Correspondent and Editor in Chief of Her Campus at UCLA, which rose to the #1 chapter in the Her Campus Chapter Network of 370+ Campuses during her tenure, from 2015-2019. Zaghi is a self-proclaimed "Professional Fangirl” and currently works in entertainment and fashion publicity. In 2016, Sara was listed as one of Her Campus' Top 22 Under 22 Most Inspiring College Women. Check out Sara's College Girl's Travel Guides for Catalina Island, Las Vegas, New York, Napa Valley, Boston, and Chicago. Contact Sara via email: Sara_Zaghi@yahoo.com