Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Dating Someone With Differing Political Views: Is It A Dealbreaker?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

With the November election coming up, it is hard not to be concerned and to have opinions on everything going on in the world. People’s political views and values are becoming more relevant and important. On most dating apps, people can put their political party in their profile. Would you be willing to set your opinions aside and date someone who doesn’t share your political views? Here are some things to think about before dating someone with a different viewpoint.

mail in ballot with mask by Tiffany Tertipes on Unsplash
Photo by Tiffany Tertipes from Unsplash
No couple is going to agree on everything. However, political opinions and beliefs are a big part of what shapes a person and how they view the world. If you don’t agree on something as major as that, you might have to deal with a lot of tension and intense arguments. People tend to get heated when discussing their political stance and oftentimes refuse to listen to the other side. You’re probably not going to be able to convince someone to change their beliefs for you. If you’re serious about your relationship, you have to be willing to accept your differences and understand the motivations behind their beliefs.

Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

So, the question remains. Is political stance a dealbreaker? It really depends on the type of relationship you have and what you’re looking for. If you’re mainly interested in casual dating, it probably doesn’t matter much if you have the same political ideas or not. However, when it comes to dating someone long term, it is much easier to relate to and be with someone who matches your core values, especially if you are planning to make major life decisions with them. It is not impossible to date someone with different political views, but you need to be able to discuss your differing beliefs with respect and kindness. It is much easier to understand where someone is coming from if you let them explain their perspective without being harsh or angry. 

HCM Design

Compatibility is an important part of any relationship you decide to go into in the future. Of course, comparing political beliefs is not the only way to judge compatibility between two people, but politics is a good sign of whether the two of you share similar morals and values. Ultimately, it is up to you to decide whether you are willing to put aside your political differences to be with someone or if it’s simply not worth it.

Caitlyn studied at UCLA where she majored in English and minored in film. She loves writing about all things lifestyle and entertainment related. When she is not writing articles, she loves going to hot yoga, reading, and binge-watching One Tree Hill for the hundredth time!