Lindsay Thompson-Music Festival Miami Ultra Lights Stage Concert Balloons Music Edm
Lindsay Thompson / Her Campus

Coachella Dos And Don’ts: How To Enjoy Coachella The Right Way

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

It’s finally festival season, and in a week’s time, a quarter of a million people will be making their way to Indio, California to see the likes of Blackpink, Bad Bunny and Frank Ocean live. I had the pleasure of attending the festival last year, and here are some things I learned after my first Coachella:

Reconsider any uncomfortable outfits

It’s undeniable: Coachella is part music festival and part runway show. At least, that’s what it may seem like online for anyone who’s not attending. I was really surprised to see a lot of people dressed in pretty simple outfits last year, with most of the crowd wearing some combination of denim shorts and a tank top. This festival is insanely tiring; you’re in the middle of the desert dancing all day and walking miles around Indio to get to different stages. I regret not considering my comfort when purchasing my outfits since I chose to break in a pair of cowboy boots on Day 3 (I cannot even put into words how much I recommend not doing this). There are a ton of ways to mix style and comfort, and the recent trend of boho-inspired looks has the right idea. With a combination of maxi skirts and mesh tops currently trending, you’re sure to have the best of the both worlds. Another thing I found super helpful was bringing a random t-shirt to throw on for any of the sets where I might be jumping around a bunch, as my bikini top was definitely not equipped for unexpected mosh pits. 

Everything gets rough when the sun goes down

The second the sun sets every day was when I would look around and realize how weird Coachella really is. The weather rapidly changes, nerves are rising as headliners are getting closer and closer to taking the main stage and dust clouds envelop all the attendees. This was often when my group and I would hit a wall, whether it be someone getting a nosebleed that won’t stop or missing an act to wait in line for the only proper restroom. It might not be so fun at the moment, but knowing to take it easy and take care of yourself at this point is so crucial to being able to enjoy all the closing acts. I highly recommend bringing a mask to wear at night when the dust clouds are pretty intense; you definitely don’t want to be breathing it in so long as you can help it. You’ll also want to pack something for the cold nights. A popular option that I noticed are aluminum blankets that help conserve your body heat!

Be realistic about the lineup and who you’ll see

Lineups on paper are fantastic. However, it becomes pretty clear as the daily schedules are announced that you will come nowhere near to seeing all of the artists on the list. Physically, it’s impossible as all the stages are way too spread out to justify running around and seeing everyone. Additionally, these are all live performances, and some things are bound to go wrong or get mixed up. I remember heading over to a tent to see beabadoobee, only to find out that some set times had been swapped at the last minute and that I had missed her whole show. Make sure to create out a loose plan-of-attack in the days before the festival to narrow down who you are absolutely dying to see, and then make sure to check their socials during the festival to see if they have any updates!

It’s not just about the music – check out all the instillations

Coachella is filled with a bunch of random nooks and crannies with a ton of things to explore. The Instagram-worthy posing spots are probably the most famous, including a rainbow building and a huge playground-looking structure. These are only a handful of the random things you can do at the festival. For example, I remember really enjoying the Lay’s stand where they handed out free chip samples with weird flavors to try out. I also went when Harry Styles headlined, meaning I got to check out his “Pleasing” tent where people got their nails done. It’s really worth it to walk around and explore, especially if there’s ever a lull in your schedule.

Water!!

Although seemingly obvious, running out of water can really make or break your experience. I had the unfortunate experience of running out of water midway through Swedish House Mafia and The Weeknd’s joint set. My saving grace was my friend’s Camelback backpack that had a tiny bit of water left. With everything being so hectic during the festivities, it is really easy to forget to drink water. Bringing a reusable water bottle or investing in some kind of water-holding backpack can be really helpful to combat this. There are many water stations sprinkled throughout the venue, so it’s a really good idea to always stop if you spot one and need to fill up. Water bottles are also sold by the venue for $2, a relatively cheap price compared to how much other venues will typically charge. Consider buying a water bottle if you don’t want to bring a reusable one, and you can just continue to refill it and sip on it throughout the day.

Overall, Coachella is whatever you want it to be, whether that be a celebration of music, fashion or art. And it’s all jam-packed into 78 acres in the middle of the desert! If you’re going this year, I wish you the best of luck and hope you take care of yourself to truly enjoy the experience. With all the incredible acts awaiting your arrival, you owe it to yourself to be mindful of these tips to maximize your experience.

Madenn is a fourth-year Political Science student with a minor in Conservation Biology at UCLA. She is passionate about all things environment, pop culture, and activism!