The CAOS Cast Spills on the The Chilling Adventures of Salem the Cat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

It’s not a typical day when a little black cat walks the black carpet of a Hollywood event. At Netflix’ Chilling Adventures of Sabrina premiere this past Friday night, not one but two black cats who portray ‘Salem the Cat’ walked the red carpet. 

As fans of the 90’s hit show Sabrina the Teenage Witch, we were ecstatic to see our sassy spirit animal in real life. So naturally, we asked the entire cast at the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina premiere about what it’s like to work with the biggest star of the show. 

Chance Perdomo, who plays Sabrina’s cousin Ambrose Spellman, spilled that there are actually five cats that share the role of Salem and his “favorites are Shaq and Boomers.” Chance mentioned that “you can easily tell which cat is which because they each have their own personalities. So when its him chilling out, it’s probably Shaq and when he’s running around it’s probably Boomers.” 

When asked what it’s like having the cats on set, Chance mentioned that “They might puss a little bit because they have a cat hierarchy, but the cats just do whatever they want.”

Kiernan Shipka, Sabrina Spellman herself, mentioned during her appearance on Live with Kelly & Ryan that she is actually allergic to cats, but has to keep at it since Salem is an important part of the show.

Annette Reilly, who plays Sabrina’s mom, burst out in laughter when asked about whether she has any scenes with Salem: “all I can say is that I have worked with Salem and he is adorable.” So I guess we need to wait to see Annette’s hilarious scenes with Salem. 

Check out the first season of The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina when it drops on October 26th, only on Netflix.

Sara Zaghi was the Campus Correspondent and Editor in Chief of Her Campus at UCLA, which rose to the #1 chapter in the Her Campus Chapter Network of 370+ Campuses during her tenure, from 2015-2019. Zaghi is a self-proclaimed "Professional Fangirl” and currently works in entertainment and fashion publicity. In 2016, Sara was listed as one of Her Campus' Top 22 Under 22 Most Inspiring College Women. Check out Sara's College Girl's Travel Guides for Catalina Island, Las Vegas, New York, Napa Valley, Boston, and Chicago. Contact Sara via email: Sara_Zaghi@yahoo.com