Campus Cutie: Tem Maral-Erdene

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Meet Tem, this week’s Campus Cutie! His current declared major is Pre-Business Economics, but don’t mind that. He’s en route to becoming an International Development Studies Major (IDS).

Where are you from and what’s your favorite thing about your hometown?

I’m from San Francisco, a city I think to be much different from L.A. It has an overall mellow vibe with a wide array of diverse cultures, and I, for one, was fortunate enough to be exposed to so much at such an early age. To choose just one favorite part of my city, it’d have be China Beach—a small beach (with a great view of the Golden Gate Bridge and the mountains bordering it) 5 minutes away from my house that’s always been relatively empty—a true hidden gem. It is probably, in my opinion, the calmest place in all of San Francisco.

If you could spend every weekend only doing one thing what would it be and why?

If I had every weekend free for an activity of my choosing, it’d definitely be trad multi-pitch rock-climbing out in the Sierra’s or Yosemite. For those unfamiliar with traditional multi-pitch, it’s essentially a style of climbing that involves gear, long vertical distances, tremendous uncertainties, and a whole lot of trust between yourself and your partner. I live for this kind of stuff—the adrenaline rush, the thrill of the unknown, and the act of pushing past perceived limits—it kind of wakes you up from the routines of a sterile and cautious life. I know it’s not your normal weekend activity, but whoever loved normal?

Any plans for the future?

For those who have their future all outlined and set, great for them. Unfortunately, I’m among the other 90 percent of undergrad students who haven’t the slightest clue as to where their life is headed, and surprisingly, I’m okay with that. It’s like, well, I’m not sure anyone knows what they want to do until they find it, you know? And so I’m still in pursuit. I’m not sure what I’ll do, and I don’t know what my career will look like, but I do know one thing: I want to explore. I want to meet different people. I want my mind to never stop growing. I just want life to be interesting, never dull or easy. Only time will tell I suppose.

What’s your favorite would-you-rather question?

Meet your future great-great-grand kids? Or meet your great-great grandparents?

Best place to eat in westwood and why?

For the rare amount of time that I actually venture out to Westwood to dine, it’s all about proximity for me. TLT Food if I’m down for a nice relaxing lunch and want to eat in a cool and hip atmosphere with relatively good amount of time in hand. Gushi, if it’s late out and I need quality food (with massive servings) fast at a cheap price. Or perhaps In-N-Out if it’s a casual weekend where I’m content with putting on a couple pounds.

Julie is a second-year undergraduate student at UCLA. Her passions include tennis, (watching) ice hockey, eating far too many delicious foods, dancing around like an idiot with her friends, and being overly sassy. She aspires to work in pretty much any realm of sports.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.