Campus Celebrity: Rachel Frenklak

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Name: Rachel Frenklak

Year: 3rd

Major: Physiological Sciences and French Minor

Hometown: Sacramento

What are you involved with on campus?

Hillel Student leader, work in UCLA research lab, Ronald Reagan Medical Center volunteer, active member of Bruins for Israel, and President of the Jewish Sorority, Sigma AEPi.

Why did you decide to attend UCLA?

I choose UCLA because I could see myself here. I thought I really wanted to go to school on the east coast but in the end, I decided I was a Cali girl. I wanted to be in a big city and have a big change from where I grew up (luckily, California is a pretty big place). Finally, I was just so impressed by the students at UCLA and everything they did. I love that I go to a university where everyone is brilliant and productive and I feel just barely average; it’s really inspiring. Also that Bruin spirit and enthusiasm can’t be beat and I was sold on the beautiful Hillel.

What has been the most valuable part of being at UCLA for you?

Being a part of the Jewish community here has been the most valuable part of my UCLA experience. Where I grew up, there was a big divide between my secular school life and my Jewish life. I love that nearly all aspects of my life here are involved with Jewish Bruin life. It’s really a home.

What are you passionate about in your life?

I am (obviously) very passionate about being Jewish and Jewish life and community. I also am really into Zionism and politics in general. And, of course, I’m really passionate about my studies (I’m pre-med). Because without them, I can’t go where I want with my life. This quarter I’m taking a class where I get to examine and be tested on human specimens (muscles, brains, hearts, and lungs, etc.) and it’s so much fun! Also, I love learning languages (hence, French minor and I also am always working on my Hebrew) and don’t let anyone tell you that Bio isn’t a language because my vocab has expanded by about a thousand words just this quarter.

What are you hoping to do after college?

After college, I would like to go to medical school, preferably to an American-accredited program at an Israeli university. I want to become a pediatrician and make aliyah (move permanently to Israel).

What is the most unique aspect of yourself?

I think my passion for everything I do. I don’t get involved in anything that I don’t put myself into 150%. Also related, how opinionated and determined I am and how I will over-schedule myself to the extreme to be able to do everything I want to do.

What advice would you give to girls at UCLA?

I would tell a girl at UCLA to find your community. Get involved in anything and everything that interests you and you’ll quickly make a bunch of friends who will guide you and support you and you’ll find your home in this huge school very quickly. Also, you should take school very seriously because that’s what you’re here for and the academic opportunities here are incredible, and even though it can get super tough, just keep pressing on. But at the same time, cherish and enjoy your time here to its fullest. You only get 4 years so live them with all your heart and go on as many adventures as possible and have as many uniquely UCLA experiences as possible. A million ups and downs are so much better than not doing everything you wanted to do.

Lindsay was the president/editor-in-chief of the UCLA chapter of Her Campus from 2015-2018. She was previously the Viral Section Editor at Her Campus and an Editorial Intern at the headquarters in Boston. Lindsay grew up in Washington state and transitioned to love the Southern California sunshine while studying communications and environmental science at UCLA. Twitter: @WeinbergLindsay.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.