Campus Celebrity: Katherine Sun

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Cutie, 4th year Qianwen (Katherine) Sun! She’s a Pscychology and Economics major who’s an outgoing and determined individual. Here’s my conversation with the lovely Katherine. 

Name: Qianwen (Katherine) Sun

Year: Senior

Major: Psychology and Economics 

Hometown: Qingdao, China (where Tsingtao Beer is made)

First off, what are some fun facts about you? 

I went to high school in Asheville, NC, but I don’t have a southern accent though. 

Any student org/hobbies/activities you’re a part of? What are they? 

I was a Resident Assistant for two years before moving to the apartments senior year. I was also in several theater productions with Chinese Student Association and C-Fan Theater group; I was also once a photographer for BruinLife Yearbook. Now, I’m pretty focused on my research projects on consumer behaviors. 

During my spare time, I love exploring food places and fashion spots in LA! 

What is something you love about your major? 

That I can think freely and critically about almost everything in the world! 

(but no, I can’t guess correctly what you are thinking right now.)

If you can go to any place or time where would you go and why? 

OMG, this is a hard question! I have so many places/ times in mind! I’m gonna give you my top three:

1. Hogwarts, during the time when Harry was a student . 

2. London, pre-WWI, preferably working at Selfridges. & Co. 

3. The place and time that Leibniz wrote Essays on the Goodness of God, the Freedom of Man and the Origin of Evil. I mean, he did come up with the idea of “best of all possible worlds” in that work, so I think it’s pretty much unbeatable. 

Who are some of the people you look up to or admire? 

I admire a lot of people and learn almost from everyone! 

Lastly, any advice for our UCLA girls to succeeding and following their passion?

I would say, really try to discover what your passion is–dont worry so much about money/ status (these things would come once you’re really good at what you do!). Once you figure out what you want to do/ who you want to be/ what kind of life you want to have, stick to the goals and try until you reach them.

One strategy I think it might be useful to figure out what one really wants in life is to lock yourself in a room free of distractions for an hour. In that hour, write down all the things you want from life: money, a happy family, kids, a successful career, pets, fancy handbags, or Laker’s front row tickets, etc. Then, cross each of them one by one, starting from the least important ones. It might be a hard process that make people cry, and that is okay. The last thing on the page, is ultimately what you hope to have in life. 

Image Courtesy of Katherine. 

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.