Campus Celebrity: Dana Gaier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Celebrity, Dana Gaier. Dana is a first year at UCLA, hoping to major in Communications and considering a minor in Theater. You might recognize this extremely talented actress from her role in “Despicable Me”! 

1. How did you get into acting?

I’ve been acting and singing since I can remember. My sister, Jillian, was auditioning professionally before me, and my mom couldn’t find a babysitter for me the day of a commercial audition Jillian had. My mom had no choice but to drag me to the audition with my sister. The casting directors at the audition asked me if I wanted to go in and audition as well. I ended up getting a callback for the audition, and as a result her agency wanted to sign me.

2. Have you worked with anyone interesting?

Working on the Despicable Me animated films have been interesting because I actually record the role by myself. It’s really exciting to meet everyone involved in the project at the premieres and other events. Some of the cool people I’ve had the opportunity to work with are Steve Carell, Kristin Wiig, Miranda Cosgrove, and Ken Jeong. As for pin-pointing one as my favorite, I don’t think I could because they are all incredibly talented and humble and I’m so lucky that I get to share this experience with them.

3. What’s been your favorite role?

My favorite role is “Edith” in “Despicable Me” and “Despicable Me 2” because it’s unlike anything I’ve ever done before. It was also the first professional job I’ve ever booked so it’s been pretty unforgettable.

4. What’s your funniest work memory?

I think the funniest memory related to work would have to be when I met James Marsden at the premiere of the first Despicable Me. I was only 13 at the time, but I was completely in love with him. I embarrassingly walked up to him and declared my love for him. I think he was a little shocked at first because it came out of nowhere, but he responded sweetly with an “I love you too!” so it wasn’t too awkward…just something I’ll always remember.

5. Do you have any future plans?

I am working on a new project that I am not supposed to talk about yet, but I will be able to talk about it really soon! It’s super exciting and I know everyone’s going to love it. I’m also just really happy that I get to spend the next few years auditioning in the area and studying at UCLA…It’s been my dream school since as long as I can remember.

Julie is a second-year undergraduate student at UCLA. Her passions include tennis, (watching) ice hockey, eating far too many delicious foods, dancing around like an idiot with her friends, and being overly sassy. She aspires to work in pretty much any realm of sports.
Christina is a second-year Psychology major. She loves Netflix, chocolate, and exploring new places.