Campus Celebrity: Ada Umeofia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Name: Ada Umeofia

Major: Architecture

Hometown: Lagos, Nigeria

It’s not every day do you meet a young student who has founded their own organisation and has even received international recognition for their work. So imagine my surprise when speaking with my roommate, Ada Umeofia, for the first time and hearing about her exciting life and career before becoming a Bruin here at UCLA. I quickly realised that she was more ambitious and more accomplished than most people I have ever come across, and all at the tender age of 21! With studying in London, meeting Bill Clinton and an award from Google all on her resume, Ada is far from a regular architecture student. This week Ada told me more about her organisation, We Built:Africa, and about her busy life.

1. What is WeBuilt:Africa?
Ada: WeBuilt is a design centred social enterprise. We re-design and fabricate trading market stalls out of found and recycled building materials, for the informal market in the slums of Africa.

2. What inspired you to start WeBuilt? Especially at such a young age?
Ada: I identified a problem and decided to try and solve it, rather than complaining about it.

3. What has been the best experience in the WeBuilt built journey so far?
Ada: Winning the Challenge:Future competition this year. I was able to use the prize of 10,000 Euros to fund the WeBuilt project! So it was very exciting.

4. What plans do you have for the future of WeBuilt?
Ada: The next stage would be mass production, making more pieces for a range of different trades. Ultimately my hope for the future is to expand to different countries across Africa.

5. If you weren’t doing architecture, what would you be doing?
Ada: Probably carpentry!

6. How does being a student compare to your life as a designer?
Ada: Its like being in a bubble or behind a shield here—there is a real absence of responsibility! I now worry about more minute things, rather than the real world!

7. If you were given two days of total freedom, no work and no burdens for 48 hours, what would you use the time for?
Ada: I’d use my time to build a piece of furniture or something. By hand and made out of wood.

8. Is there anything besides designing and making that you like to do?
Ada: I love watching TV, The Office is my favourite show! I also love horror movies!

9. I really love your clothes and fashion sense. Where is your favourite place to shop?
Ada: Goodwill! Its great. I get such great finds there.

10. How can we find out more about you and the WeBuilt organisation?
Ada: Visit www.webuilt.org

Nicole Cremer is currently a sophomore at UCLA majoring in Neuroscience. She has a passion for journalism and loves being involved in a variety of extra-curricular activities, including doing research at the UCLA Brain Tumor institute, volunteering with Global Medical Brigades where she traveled to Ghana this past winter to provide health care to over 1,200 people, contributing to the Daily Bruin newspaper as a Video Reporter, and being a part of Gamma Phi Beta Sorority. Before becoming the Her Campus Campus Correspond for UCLA, she was a founding member of Her Campus UCLA and wrote a weekly health blog. In her spare time, Nicole enjoys exploring new restaurants and sites around Los Angeles, listening to country music, running (and training for half marathons…maybe a full one someday!), hiking, and spending as much time as she can at the beach!