Best New Music Releases of the Week: Kendrick Lamar, John Mayer, and More

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

This week was a booming one in the world of music — we were graced with new tunes from the likes of Kendrick Lamar, John Mayer, Frank Ocean and many more.

If you weren’t able to catch all the great new releases of the week, don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! We’ve compiled a list of the best fresh music of this past week that you can’t miss.

Check out the list below!

1. Kendrick Lamar – DAMN.

After pumping up fans about a new album for months and teasing a new album release on April 7, Lamar finally released his anticipated fourth studio album “DAMN.” late Thursday evening. Meticulously produced and lyrically brilliant, the album features collaborations with Rihanna and U2. Check it out on Spotify or Apple Music.

2. John Mayer – The Search for Everything

There’s a lot to love about John Mayer’s new album The Search for Everything — a big part, perhaps, that it is all about love. What could be labeled as a “break-up album” Mayer’s latest release features 12 new songs that feature Mayer’s defining pop-R&B and alternative-folk sound.

Although he had to share a release date with Kendrick Lamar, Mayer shared a hilariously awesome response to the whole situation:

image couresty of instagram.com/johnmayer

3. Frank Ocean – “Biking”

Though not a follow-up album to “Blonde,” Frank Ocean did release a new song entitled “Biking,” a collab with Jay Z and Tyler, The Creator. The four-and-a-half minute song, which is Ocean’s third single of 2017, is a relaxing meditation on the many “cycles” we go through in life.

4. Mac DeMarco – “On the Level”

Ahead of his LP “These This Old Dog” debuting in May, Mac DeMarco released a new song, “On the Level.” Though he doesn’t abandon his synthy- psychedelic rock sounds and gravelly vocals, this new track finds DeMarco in a place we haven’t quite seen him since “Chamber of Reflection” in 2014.

5. Banks – “Crowded Places”

Towards the end of the penultimate episode of “Girls” last Sunday, the voice of the lovely Banks reverberated in the background of an emotional scene, in which Hannah Horvath cruises around town, contemplating perhaps the biggest decision of her career. Banks’ new song “Crowded Places” is a beautiful, lulling number that perfectly encapsulates the back and forth Hannah goes through in terms of making lasting changes in her life.

6. Father John Misty – “Pure Comedy”

Father John Misty’s music is always intense, contemplative, and often critical — but his new album released last Friday, entitled “Pure Comedy,” takes all of that to another level. The 13-song album gives the indie-rock artist’s take on a slew of topics, from capitalism to religion to pop culture. If you have time to ruminate on this album the whole way through — we highly recommend it!

7. Lil Yachty – “Peek a Boo”

In a new collab with Migos, Lil Yachty released “Peek a Boo,” and with it, a new music video in which he is blanketed by darkness and surrounded by elegantly dancing women. Watch the music video here: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8OG5ffqfoE

Sarah Ahern is a sophomore at UC Irvine studying literary journalism. Aside from writing for HerCampus, she interns for the self-help website DreamitAlive.com. In her free time, she enjoys writing, playing tennis, and baking.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.