Acing The Airport: Helpful Hints Every Young Traveler Needs To Know This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Attending university amongst the sunshine-filled hills and beaches of California’s coastline is every student’s lifelong fantasy. That is until they realize their brand-new school is located next to one of the busiest, loudest and most chaotic international airports in the entire world…LAX (*dun-dun-dun*). As holiday season celebrations commence, homebound trips are forcing these students into the center of this anxiety-ridden adventure — and worse yet? They’re all alone

But never fear, suffering through airport apprehension is not unique to UCLA students (honestly, it’s not even unique to college students). Traveling can be tricky at every age, location and time of year, so calm those pre-journey jitters with these helpful hints that all young travelers should know and take advantage of. Trust me, you’re going to want to write these down:

Apply for TSA Pre-Check Prior To Your Flight
Tsa GIF by Bob's Burgers - Find & Share on GIPHY
TSA GIF By Bob’s Burgers via Giphy

While the $85 application fee and in-person fingerprinting appointment are not exactly convenient, the 5-year TSA Pre-Check status that allows you to skip the normal security lines will make the headache totally worth it! Imagine not having to take your shoes off or electronics out at an airport…ooh, so nice.

Plan Your Flight Time Around Travel Trends
Reveals Don Orsillo GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
Reveals Don Orsillo GIF via Giphy

LAX and every other airport in the country see similar trends of travel times around the holidays, as people prefer the early morning and weekend flights for their family trips (NOTE: Midweek travel WILL be busy during the weeks of Thanksgiving and Christmas). Avoid traffic jams and terminal crowds by booking a midday, middle-of-the-week flight instead — the emptier the airport, the easier it is to travel!

Avoid checking luggage if at all possible
ABC Network GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
ABC Network GIF via Giphy

Compact packing is a must for traveling during the holidays! Save yourself the trouble of waiting an extra hour at baggage claim with nail-biting anxiety about whether or not your luggage actually made it to your destination. (Although, nothing beats the rush of seeing your bag FINALLY come crashing down that carousel in a brutalized heap…). Just take a carry-on bag!

But if you can’t…make your luggage pop!
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC - Find & Share on GIPHY
Schitt’s Creek Comedy GIF By CBC via Giphy

If you just have too much to pack and need to check your luggage, make sure your bag stands out to avoid any confusion at the carousel. Add bright ribbons, bows, patches or tags that send a loud and clear message that the bag belongs to you.

Download A List Of Prohibited Travel Items WHILE You Pack
Football Security GIF by CBS - Find & Share on GIPHY
Football Security GIF By CBS via Giphy

I get it, you want to bring your military-grade blowtorch back to school with you; but unfortunately, you’re just going to have to leave that one at home. Avoid any security issues with your carry-ons by downloading (and actually reviewing) the prohibited item list for your local airport and airline. The #1 culprit is always, always, always liquids — new travelers beware!

Prep Plenty Of In-Flight Activities 
Bored Season 4 GIF by Parks and Recreation - Find & Share on GIPHY
Bored Season 4 GIF By Parks And Recreation via Giphy

I don’t care how mature you think you are as a college student, but I’m telling you right now: you are going to wish you brought those coloring books, magazines and card games. Flights get boring really fast when there’s absolutely nothing to do, so download your favorite films the night before and pack in-flight activities (plus snacks, don’t forget the snacks!) to keep yourself entertained. 

Utilize Online Check-In For Your Flight To Skip The Lines
Randy Marsh Gerald Broflovski GIF by South Park  - Find & Share on GIPHY
Randy Marsh Gerald Broflovski GIF By South Park via Giphy

Ahh, the wonders of technology. Skip the check-in lines by completing the process online the day before and download all boarding passes onto your phone for ease of travel. 

Dress Down For Your Flight — That’s Right, Hoodies Are Your New Best Friend!
Dan Levy Fashion GIF by CBC - Find & Share on GIPHY
Dan Levy Fashion GIF By CBC via Giphy

Opt out of the fancy belts and jewelry to avoid getting pulled aside for a security screening after pinging every level of the metal detector. Wearing big hoodies and coats on the plane will save luggage room and keep you warm in the below-freezing airplane.

Set Rendezvous Points To Prevent Getting Lost
Confused Superbowl GIF by Republic Records - Find & Share on GIPHY
Confused Superbowl GIF By Republic Records via Giphy

If you have the pleasure of traveling with other people this holiday season (or if your loved ones are chauffeuring you from the airport), set pre-established rendezvous points so nobody gets lost and you don’t have to rely on crappy airport cell service to find one another. People get lost very easily in large crowds, so make sure you know where to go in case of an emergency!

With enough luck and preparation, you won’t partake in a personal remix of the chaotic airport scenes in beloved films such as Home Alone 2 (a.k.a. the aggravating scene where Kevin refuses to pay attention because he just HAS to replace his batteries — absurd I say, ABSURD!). 

Remember: we all make mistakes, and more often than not, any airport issues we run into end up being entirely out of our control. Don’t be too self-critical if you aren’t a reigning pro-traveler by the time New Year’s rolls around. Landing safely at your destination is all that really matters, regardless of how smooth or chaotic the process was to get there. Wishing you all safe travels and a happy holiday season, good luck!

Grace LaPlante is currently a senior English major at UCLA—she’s a literature lover, music enthusiast and sports fanatic with dreams of traveling the world someday!