david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

A Scaredy-Cat’s Guide To Surviving Halloween Horror Nights

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Not so long ago, I was a scaredy-cat. Growing up in Florida, it was common to go to Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios. For years, I let my fear hold me back from going. One year, I finally decided I was tired of sitting at home while everyone else was out having fun. I needed to take the leap of faith; I was going to Halloween Horror Nights.

All it took was one night at the event and my perspective completely changed. I have now gone several times, and I look forward to it each year. I promise it’s not as bad as it seems. In fact, I believe it’s possible for even the most fearful of scaredy-cats to not only survive but also enjoy Horror Nights. If you’re a first-timer ready to take the plunge, here are some of my tips to make the most of the night. 

Don’t Look scared

This might sound confusing initially, but trust me on this one. It’s totally normal to feel scared but try as much as possible not to show it. It’s the scareactors’ job to scare you. They are constantly on the lookout for people who they think will give them the biggest reaction. If you don’t want to become an easy target, you should try to look as confident as possible (even if you’re faking it). Don’t bury your head in your friend’s shoulder and stay off your phone (scareactors are looking to catch people off guard). I’ve made direct eye-contact with chainsaw-wielding clowns, and they’ve completely ignored me. Let your body language tell the scareactors that you aren’t going to give them the screaming reaction they are hoping for.

enjoy the non-scary things

Horror Nights has lots of fun things to enjoy besides the haunted houses and scare zones. I always make it a point to check out the spooky themed food. Many of the rides are typically open as well and tend to have shorter lines since most people are focused on the haunted houses. Enjoying other non-scary things will give you a break to recharge so you don’t burn out too quickly. 

go with the right people

The people you go with can make all the difference. Try to go with good friends or family that you know will have fun. People who aren’t going to take themselves too seriously are best. It’s hard to be scared when you’re surrounded by other people who are joking and having fun. It has become a tradition for me and my sister to go to Horror Nights together every year. We always have the best time since we spend the whole night laughing at each other getting scared. You’ll enjoy the night more if you go with the right people. 

watch videos beforehand

Uncertainty can be the scariest part of the whole thing. Even after having gone several times, I always browse Instagram and Youtube beforehand. Having an idea of what everything looks like and where scareactors may be hiding can really help ward off anxieties. 

Go into the event with a good mindset and I promise you will be fine. Remember, it’s all fake and no one can actually touch you. Keep these tips in mind, and you’ll have a great time!

Lily is a third year Political Science major at UCLA from Sarasota, FL. In her free time, she loves binge-watching sitcoms, listening to music, and finding new coffee shops.