A picture of Royce Hall
A picture of Royce Hall
Brooke Sagun
Life > Experiences

A Bruin Bucket List: What You Need To Do Before the School Year Ends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Whether you are a freshman, sophomore, junior or senior, it is safe to say that being back on campus this year has been a dream come true. From early morning coffee runs at Kerckhoff to late nights at Powell, it has given us all the sense of community we’ve been craving for. 

With it being many of our first years here on campus, and the school year coming to a close, it’s time to bring out the Bruin Bucket List and give you guys some ideas for things to do in Westwood before summer starts.

1. Ice Blocking Down Kuruvunga

I remember my first time visiting campus. It was 8 p.m. on a Friday night. As I walked down the Kuruvunga Steps, I was beyond confused as I saw a group of students and copious blocks of ice. It was that night that I found out it was a Bruin tradition to go “ice blocking.” The name is just as it sounds. Go to your local grocery store and buy a bag of ice. Then, go to the top of the Kuruvunga Steps and slide down with it. Sounds exhilarating and is definitely something that I want to personally try.

Photo Via @UCLA
  1. Take a walk through the Sculpture Garden

For many of us, it is a bit of a hike to get all the way to North Campus, but it is so worth it to see the Sculpture Garden. It is a beautiful area to go read, journal, have lunch or even just walk and look around. You’ll 100 percent catch some students lounging or even walking their dogs. It is a perfect pit stop between classes during finals!

1. Watch a Show at the Planetarium

The planetarium was one activity option that I didn’t even know existed until about three days ago, as my friend and I passed through South Campus. The planetarium hosts a show every Wednesday night, and it is open for all students to come and watch. Relax and unwind from your end-of-the-quarter stress with a mesmerizing planetarium show, I promise it will be worth it.

1. Find the Powell Cat

Yes, there is a cat that lives on campus, and yes, you can see it if you are lucky. I was passing the Kuruvunga Steps with some friends the other day, and they told me all about the Powell Cat. Powell Cat roams through campus and can often be found near The Student Activities Center. Some faculty have even set up a food station for the cat. This furry friend is too cute to miss this quarter!

1. Rub the Bruin Bear Paw

It is well known around campus that rubbing the paw of the Bruin Bear Statue is supposed to bring you good luck with your finals. Take a moment next time you’re walking through Bruin Plaza to rub the famous paw and manifest all As to finish off the quarter. I know that this superstition can sound silly, but I’m also sure many of us need all of the help we can get after this chaotic year. Better to be safe than sorry!

Photo Via @UCLA
  1. Go to a Themed Dining Hall Night

This option is more for students who are living on the Bill; however, you are missing out if you do not attend at least one of the themed dining hall nights. They are sporadic, so you have to keep an eye out for them, but so far this year there has been a strawberry night, tomato night, garlic night and mushroom night. During these themed nights, every meal incorporates the theme into their dishes. There was even a Harry Potter-themed week at De Neve! Rumor has it the next themed night is Avocado night and I am 100 percent here for it.

1. Go to Sunset Rec

Sunset Rec really is a hidden gem for UCLA students. When I first went to this lesser-known locale, I had the hardest time finding it, but once you are inside, it is like you are transported into a summer camp. There are two pools, volleyball courts and a huge lawn for leisure and tanning. It is cute and quiet and the perfect place to spend a sunny spring day.

1. Diddy Riese

No UCLA bucket list would be complete if I didn’t mention Diddy Riese. Diddy Riese has been a Westwood classic for decades now. Right in the heart of Westwood Village, Diddy Riese was made to soothe your sweet tooth. Their cookies are amazing and insanely cheap. The line is usually out the door, so go with friends to keep you company, and you will not be disappointed.

As the year comes to an end, try to cross some things off of your own bucket lists! There are so many exciting places for students to explore on campus and even around larger L.A! Being a Bruin is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, so make the most of it!

Hi :) My name is Jade and I am a second year at UCLA! I am a double major in communications and cognitive science and I am super excited to be apart of Her Campus