9 Small Ways To Get Into The Halloween Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Halloween is on its way, and it seems like everywhere we look, there’s a Jack-O-Lantern or a witch goblet. Restaurants and bakeries are flooding their menus with pumpkin-flavored everything, and the orange-and-black theme seems to have made its way into every corner of our lives. Alongside the approach of Halloween comes also the encroaching fear of midterms. While everyone else is getting into the Halloween spirit with costumes and decorations, it can be difficult to get into that same excited mentality while stuck in the cycle of homework assignments and study notes. With these small traditions, you can slowly ease yourself into the Halloween spirit.

1. Start Stocking Up On Candy.

Candy: the ultimate Halloween pleasure! Use October as your excuse to get away with stocking up on bags of your favorite candy and sharing them with your friends. Just make sure that you pace yourself with the candy consumption!

2. Start Searching For Costume Ideas. 

Whether you’re searching for costumes on eBay or perusing Pinterest for cute costume ideas, nothing says Halloween like the perfect costume. Go for ghoulish, funny, sentimental—just don’t hold back on this Halloween-exclusive activity.

3. Decorate Your Room.

These little decorations can vary from fake spiders to lit-up Jack-O-Lanterns, but they’ll each do their part in making your space look very festive. Even just a small decoration can go a long way in changing the mood of the place.

4. Look At Old Halloween Pictures.

Revisit your old scrapbooks or photo albums to relive memories of Halloweens past. Viewing these old pictures and revisiting these memories can revitalize your enthusiasm and excitement for Halloween!

5. Visit a Pumpkin Patch.

Visiting a pumpkin patch will not only earn you artsy Instagram photo points, it will also get you feeling a greater sense of appreciation for autumn. Feel the cool fall breeze, listen to the soft crunch of the fallen leaves and soak in the feeling of autumn!

6. Make Halloween Desserts.

Halloween treats don’t just have to stop at candy! Keep the sugar rush going by making some of your own Halloween desserts, or even just looking through Halloween recipes online can be lots of fun.

7. Watch Halloween Films.

From grotesque horror movies to classic black-and-white films, there is an abundance of great Halloween films to spook you and get you hyped up for Halloween. Gather your friends up with a bucket of buttery popcorn and candy corn, and get engrossed in these movies!

8. Start Wearing Orange and Black.

Orange and black are the ultimate Halloween colors, so if you are really committed to getting into the Halloween spirit, start injecting those colors into your outfits. Coming up with combinations of orange and black will get you to feel more excited about this upcoming holiday!

9. Watch YouTube Makeup Tutorials.

Picking a Halloween costume is hard, but perfecting the makeup is harder. Start by watching YouTube makeup tutorials to see how you can achieve that perfect, spooky look. Seeing tons of Halloween costume ideas on the screen can get you feeling excited about your potential to get the BEST Halloween costume this year!

Halloween is coming up at a time when college students are getting haunted by something else—grades, homework assignments, deadlines. But these pressures don’t have to take the fun out of Halloween! Start allowing these small techniques to permeate into your everyday life, and allow the Halloween spirit to come to you. Happy Halloween, collegiates! 

Kalysa was the 2020-21 Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent for the UCLA chapter of Her Campus. She was also previously a Senior Editor and Feature Writer for the chapter. On the rare occasion she's not busy studying for school or writing for Her Campus, you'll probably find her indulging in tiramisu or reading (and re-reading) her favorite novels. 
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.