Wellness

8 Tips For Mastering Healthy Eating In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

College is weird. College is hard to manage. There are difficult classes, loads of work, club meetings and then we have to at least try and be social. But what about food? How do we make time for something so special but so hard to fit in the midst of our hectic lives?

Because of our crazy busy schedules, it’s convenient to rely on readily-available foods to “fuel” ourselves, particularly noting processed snacks, microwavable meals and take out. Or, better yet, forgetting to eat through the day and binging later in the night. But hey, who said it has to be this way? Healthy eating should not be difficult to incorporate… Here are 8 tips to absolutely smash healthy eating in college. Freshman 15 who?

1. Go Ham At Trader Joe’s 

No, not in the freezer section or the baked goods section. The fruit aisle? The varieties of amazing lettuce? The bags of beautiful bell peppers? Yes! These are extremely ideal for snacking throughout the day and are great alternatives to campus vending machines. Throw them in your bag before you head out for class and munch away!

2. Moderation Beats The Binge

Having a balanced diet is key to consistent healthy eating. This does not mean eliminate foods that are high in empty fats and added sugar (brownies, fries, etc.). Enjoy them in moderation! This will put your cravings in place– you won’t lose control to a binge since you’ve enjoyed the food in an appropriate amount before. Binging is bad. Moderation beats it. Eat in moderation ~ 

3. Switch To One-Plate Dining Ventures 

It’s easy to overeat when you are in an atmosphere of high stress and all-you-can-eat dining halls. Like, too easy. Practice portion control by sticking to 1 plate when grub-hour comes around rather than picking up 3 to 5. This will stop you from grabbing everything in your sight and rather sticking to the foods that will fit onto your plate. Foods that you know will keep you full, energized and avoid unnecessary bloating.

4. Eat Breakfast! Make It Good!

Days are long with scattered schedules, especially noting that trips back to the dining halls do take up time. So if you’re used to having a processed snack to get you “up and running,” forget that! Make time for an actual breakfast. This will kickstart your metabolism and keep your eating schedule intact.  Don’t have a lame breakfast that will make you settle for a bag of chips when the munchies hit! Aim for a breakfast high in healthy fats (avocado, cheese, nuts), high in protein (eggs are great), and low in added sugar and salt (pastries, sugary cereals). Keep yourself full and going!

5. No Soda. Just No.

Soda is liquid poison– I cannot emphasize that enough! You are drinking empty calories that do nothing for you. They won’t keep you full, they won’t keep you energized, nothing! Water and water only! Try drinking it before and after your meals to control bloating and false hunger cues.

6. Exercise When You’re Bored, Eat When You’re Hungry

Do you have nothing to do in-between classes? Are you over-watching Netflix and just scrolling through socials? Thinking of grabbing a chocolate chip cookie? Think again! Go to the gym! Studies show that it takes close to 21 days for a habit to form. So push yourself the first few times, and eventually, you’ll have formed a habit that will be hard to break. And voilá! You now resort to the gym instead of food. I can already see the abs seeping through ;) 

7. Coffee Is Not A Meal Replacement

Yes, coffee is delicious and gets you feeling alert with nearly a few sips, but don’t over do it. Try to stick to 1-2 cups per day. The whole college scene seems to glorify this idea of being over caffeinated; don’t fall for it! Being over caffeinated fuels addiction and is super unhealthy considering your body simply can’t handle such huge influxes of caffeine! It just can’t. Drink coffee if you like it, but not to the point that it’s replacing what should be a nutritious meal. Like, seriously.

8. Log What You Eat

Logging what you eat is one of the best ways to prevent overeating and break unhealthy habits. The idea of writing down what you’re consuming will prevent you from making wrong eating choices. It does not have to be tedious to the point of calorie counting, but it should be enough so you are aware of what you are throwing into your body.

Nicolette is sophomore at UCLA studying psychobiology with a minor in professional writing. She is the author of her first published book, Control Mindset, a nonfiction guide to taking control of your mind & reality. Her aspirations are in the field of medicine, but she enjoys connecting the art of writing and creation with the sciences. She thinks writing biographies is very hard so she is butchering this as she types. She thanks you for reading her article and hopes you learned something new. She also loves coffee and needs some right now. She argues dark roast is the best roast. She's also probably hungry right now. Nom nom.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.