This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

When you think of “happiness”, what do you think about? Happiness is quite broad, and it can represent a myriad of things depending on who you ask. I have always wondered how other people define what it means to be happy, so I decided to ask some of my friends and family to share their thoughts. Here are there responses:

Me (Kristin)

Happiness to me is accepting and loving myself for who I am, including all of my insecurities and weaknesses. People try to make it seem like happiness is this overwhelming and allconsuming emotion that rarely visits you, but I think it’s more of a calming wave of feeling content with life as is. This materialistic world tries so hard to make us hate parts of ourselves just so that others can profit off of our supposed flaws and shortcomings. Once you fully realize your true potential and stop listening to the little voice in the back of your mind trying to hold you back, you will be free and more content with your existence. We are on this earth to experience things and learn as we grow, so just be yourself and explore what this world has to offer. I am on the path to becoming fully one with myself and unlocking true happiness. 

Ayla

Happiness is letting go of self-imposed limitations and following your whims.

Karen

Happiness is being able to live freely and stop caring about things that don’t add value to my life. I enjoy exploring and spending time in nature and not worrying about materialistic things. Most importantly, I love creating more memories with my best friend. That’s what happiness means to me. (Oh, and also mountains. I love mountains.)

Natalia

I would have to say that happiness for me is reaching my full potential and knowing that I have done everything I could to achieve my goals. It is more than a joyous feeling; it is a sense of pride and accomplishment. I would say that being happy and happiness are very different because being happy is a current mood while happiness is long term. It is not about being “perfect” but about learning to accept and love yourself. It is allowing yourself to take risks and find opportunities, as well as achieving your passions and goals.

Kailin

Happiness to me is feeling fulfilled by life through doing things I love, like traveling or being with my friends. The reason these things bring me happiness is because they keep me from feeling lonely. 

Anonymous

Happiness to me means a state of being where I am able to feel a combination of confidence, security and motivation. In my mind, these are three foundational pillars for happiness, and the various relationships and endeavors we pursue affect these pillars. Our energy also affects these areas that create happiness. If you put good energy into the universe as a result of the strength within your foundations, the universe will help give you energy back to maintain your foundation. Happiness and its energy is a flow that develops and moves through each experience we have as we get older. 

Anonymous

Happiness to me is the feeling when nothing can ruin a good mood. It’s smiling from ear to ear, laughing very joyfully and not thinking about others judging me in any way. It’s being free to be myself and do what I love.

Anonymous

Happiness is important to me because it’s the result of satisfaction expressed genuinely.

As you can see, happiness manifests itself in different forms for each and every person. There is no one true, correct way to be happy. Just find what makes you feel happy and content in this life and pursue it!

Kristin is a fourth year MCDB major and Film minor who loves to create art and bring a smile to people's faces. You can probably find her at the beach or in bed. Oh, and she is in love with cookies and cartoons.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.