Wellness > Sex + Relationships

7 Tips To Cope With The Pressures Of “Cuffing” Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

It’s that time of year again. ‘Tis the season! By season, I mean “cuffing season,” when everyone’s mission seems to be to get in a relationship and cuddle up with a cup of cocoa and their new boo. So, how does a person not in a relationship avoid the constant pressures to get coupled up ASAP? Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind for all my single people out there:

You may not be in a relationship right now, but that does not mean you are going to be alone forever.

Sometimes I feel like I should get this tattooed on my hand because of how often I need to remind myself of this. There may be added pressure during the holidays (see every Hallmark Christmas movie ever) to jump into a new relationship. However, that doesn’t mean that your chances of ever finding love are over just because you haven’t found someone yet. Besides, relationships aren’t everything in life. You have plenty of time to find your person someday, and it doesn’t have to be during cuffing season.

Posts on social media aren’t always an accurate depiction of people’s relationships.

Scrolling on Instagram during the holidays is like looking through a sappy, “relationship goals” Pinterest board. It seems like every couple is taking the cutest pictures and professing their love for each other all over social media. As someone who once participated in this trend, I must say that all of those heartwarming pictures aren’t always a true look into someone’s relationship. People post what they want others to see of their relationship, but they fail to show the reality of the complications that relationships entail. Just keep in mind that those relationship posts you keep seeing don’t tell you the full story.

Don’t settle for someone just because you feel like you have to.

Maybe your best friend just got in a relationship, and now you want someone to cuddle and binge watch Hallmark movies with so you’re not the third wheel anymore. That doesn’t mean that you should jump into a relationship with the next person you match with on Tinder whose only hobby is fishing and asking you for nudes. Don’t settle for someone who isn’t right for you. You deserve the best so don’t settle for less.

Prepare yourself for the “Are you seeing anyone?” questions from your family.

It can be uncomfortable to be bombarded with questions about your relationship status from family when you are home for the holidays. The best way to answer these questions is by letting everyone know that you are focusing on yourself and reassuring them that the right person will come along eventually. Don’t let your family’s inquiries lead you to panic, thinking that something’s wrong with you for not being in a relationship. Instead of worrying, be the strong, independent person you are and start telling them about all that you are proud of accomplishing since you last saw them.

Give yourself some extra love and attention.

Whether that’s by doing face masks, watching your favorite show again, or just sleeping in, make sure to pamper yourself during cuffing season. Your physical and mental health should be your top priority, so why not give yourself some extra love? Maybe plan some time where you can be by yourself and just relax. You won’t be single forever, so you should enjoy some “me” time while you have the chance.

Strengthen the relationships you have with your friends and family.

Friendships and family relationships are super important to maintain and grow. Spending time with your loved ones will help you feel less alone during cuffing season, and these relationships can be even better than a romantic one. 

Don’t keep constantly looking for a relationship, especially if you’re not ready.

Sometimes we tend to seek relationships with other people because we are lacking in our relationship with ourselves. If you’re not ready to date yet, that’s perfectly okay, and no one should pressure you to find someone. Accept that it might be best if you stay single for now and work on being your own person.

It is totally normal to feel the need to find a relationship when it seems like everyone else is in one. Remember that you may be alone right now, but you won’t be forever! With the support of your friends and family, you will find that there is plenty more to life than being in a relationship.  

Caitlyn studied at UCLA where she majored in English and minored in film. She loves writing about all things lifestyle and entertainment related. When she is not writing articles, she loves going to hot yoga, reading, and binge-watching One Tree Hill for the hundredth time!