This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Since classes have finally returned in person and Los Angeles has implemented new legislation to keep bars and restaurants safer, UCLA students should take advantage of all LA has to offer. I know I will be enjoying the nice weather and the lively atmosphere, so here is my bucket list of things we all need to do before fall quarter ends.

Visit A Pumpkin Patch

Mr. Bones’ Pumpkin Patch, as well as Shawn’s Pumpkin Patch, are both close by! A short drive gets you a ton of photo opportunities and access to a bunch of different activities. From petting zoos to wagon rides to face painting, you can make a day out of the visit. If you prefer to simply pick up a pumpkin or two to carve yourself, you can also stop by any number of pumpkin patches set up in parking lots or open fields for a cozy night in that will leave your apartment smelling like fall.

Girls Pumpkins
Breanna Coon / Her Campus
See the Foliage at Descanso Gardens

Descanso Gardens is blooming with fall foliage this time of year. From October 11 to October 31, Descanso Gardens is hosting Carved, an event with hundreds of carved pumpkins, a pumpkin house and more during the Halloween season. From November 21 to January 9, they will alo be hosting Enchanted, an event featuring a one-mile walk through the lit-up gardens. Descanso Gardens is filled with beautiful flowers year-round, so I know that these experiences must make the gardens that much more special.

Take a Dive into the World of Alice in Wonderland with a Themed Cocktail Experience

This dive into Alice’s tea party takes an interesting twist that allows participants to craft cocktails, solve riddles, paint the roses red, and taste the famous “Eat Me” cake. From Wednesdays through Sundays, those of age can take a journey into this larger-than-life experience and dive into this 90- minute themed experience. An extravagant experience like this is only available in Los Angeles, so I’ll definitely want to dress up and dive into Alice’s tea party myself.  

Ride the Los Angeles Haunted Hayride

Griffith Park is just around the corner from UCLA, and the Los Angeles Haunted Hayride is back after a drive-through experience due to COVID last year. With a few additional attractions other than the hayride itself, this experience has truly come to life. In the fictional town of Midnight Falls, a witch summons creatures that have hidden among Halloween decorations to frighten the riders.  

Immerse Yourself in the Van Gogh Experience

Open until January 2, the Van Gogh Experience is an immersive experience that allows guests to step into Van Gogh’s works of art and see them in a whole new way. As a museum-goer that can spend sun-up to sundown enamored with different exhibits, I am looking forward to wandering through this new experience.  With a 360 degree experience and many rave reviews from previous visitors and the media, this is an experience you definitely don’t want to miss.

Scare Yourself at Knott’s Scary Farm or Universal’s Horror Nights 

As a first-time adventurer to one of these Halloween-themed amusement parks, I am a bit apprehensive to visit. However, it’s an LA tradition and one you shouldn’t miss. Knott’s Scary Farm is the first of its kind and inspired those including Universal’s Horror Nights and Six Flags’ Fright Fest. Since they have all had so much success, I definitely want to visit their Halloween-themed attractions this year. Plus, being frightened can be a good distraction from midterms season! 

Celebrate Oktoberfest

While Los Angeles might not be known for German food, you can get into the Oktoberfest spirit through a few different events. From dumplings to vegan food to craft beers, there are a ton of different foodie events to celebrate. Bavarian Night in Wirthaus has its last one-night event on the first Saturday in November. I’m eager to dress up, take the night off from classes, and get into the spirit. If November is a bit too full of midterms for you, Wirthaus also hosts an annual Christmas Market towards the end of fall quarter!

Hopefully at least a few of these activities pique your interest! I know I’ll be trying to check off all seven before the weather gets too cold! 

Alyssa Chew is a fourth-year Electrical Engineering major at UCLA. She is excited to be a Features Writer for Her Campus at UCLA and to get involved and explore Los Angeles. Alyssa hopes you enjoy reading her articles!