7 Things To Consider When Registering For Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

With our enrollment appointments popping up, and with the release of the winter class schedule, it is time for us to plan for and register for new classes! But as you fill up your Internet tabs with your Class Planner and Bruinwalk, make sure that you’re not just taking classes you know your friends will be in! There are many other factors to consider when planning your class schedule so that you will have a more productive and successful quarter.

1. Are You a Morning Person?

College students love escaping those 8AM classes, so chances are that your friends will probably do their best to sidestep those courses as well. But if you find that you are most productive and energized after a good night’s sleep and early rising, you should consider registering for a morning class!

2. Will you be doing internships?

Most internships prefer students that can work longer shifts over fewer days, rather than short shifts interspersed throughout the week. If you plan on being an intern, try to plan your class schedule so that you have one or two days off to devote to that internship!

3. Do you prefer long seminars or short lectures?

Classes come in 2 options: you can either take a short lecture 2 times a week, or go to 1 long seminar that only takes place once a week. If you have a short attention span and will not be able to sit still for 3 hours, you’re likely better off taking a lecture. But a seminar about a field that interests you can help you get to know the professor and your classmates. While planning your class schedule, do some self-reflection to gauge which classes will best benefit you and your unique learning style.

4. Big or Small Classes?

Lectures are typically filled up with more people, while seminars come in smaller class sizes and typically require student participation. While seminars create a smaller environment through which you can get to know your classmates and professors, you might prefer to listen to your professor’s lectures without having to discuss your own personal thoughts.

5. Are you involved in any clubs or student organizations?

If you’re involved in any clubs or on-campus student organizations or plan to get involved, know when their general meetings are! You don’t want to join a club and miss out on all the information and cool opportunities that come with it, so make sure that you plan your classes outside of the meeting times of your clubs!

6. Are you interested in double-majoring or minoring?

Have you considered either minoring or double-majoring? If it’s something that’s crossed your mind or that you’ve even considered, try taking a class in a different field to gauge your interest! Even though you may not get major credit for the course, you’ll be able to meet new people and gain exposure to a different environment.

7. Your Mental Health

Your mental health should be one of the biggest factors you take into consideration when figuring out your class schedule! Students have a habit of maxing out their units, joining dozens of student organizations, applying for a bunch of internships and taking on more than they can actually handle. Think back on previous quarters; if you’ve been pulling all-nighters and sustaining yourself solely through caffeine, you might want to consider lightening up your load next quarter. Make sure that next quarter’s schedule will have enough space for you to practice self-care!

Planning for and registering for classes often feels like a frustrating puzzle that we have to piece together. But it can also be so fun to delve into courses that interest you and start imagining the way everything will fit together. Try to find the fun of class registration, and don’t stress yourself out too much trying to piece everything together!

Kalysa was the 2020-21 Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent for the UCLA chapter of Her Campus. She was also previously a Senior Editor and Feature Writer for the chapter. On the rare occasion she's not busy studying for school or writing for Her Campus, you'll probably find her indulging in tiramisu or reading (and re-reading) her favorite novels. 
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.