This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

As a fan of hyperpop music, I was heartbroken to hear that the trailblazing musician SOPHIE tragically passed away on January 30th. SOPHIE was a futuristic force in pop music who both wrote and produced for many top artists and released music of her own, like her iconic 2018 debut album OIL OF EVERY PEARL’S UN-INSIDES. In honor of her legacy in the music industry and to introduce new fans to some of her best work, here’s a list of seven must-play songs that SOPHIE had a hand in creating:

“Out of My Head” by Charli XCX (featuring Tove Lo and Alma)

SOPHIE played a role in writing and producing “Out of My Head” for Charli XCX’s 2017 mixtape Pop 2. Despite some of the verses’ darker lyrics, the song is an upbeat, party anthem with SOPHIE’s signature, inventive production. Charli XCX and SOPHIE were longtime collaborators, having worked together on multiple projects such as Vroom Vroom and Number 1 Angel. Following SOPHIE’s death, Charli has paid tribute to her friend by promoting a petition to rename a recently discovered planet after SOPHIE. 

“Bitch I’m Madonna” by Madonna (featuring Nicki Minaj)

This controversial track off of Madonna’s thirteenth album, Rebel Heart, was co-written and co-produced by SOPHIE. In “Bitch I’m Madonna” she showcases her maximalist, energetic production style and highlights her knack for accentuating the vocals of industry heavyweights. Over five years later, this song remains one of SOPHIE’s most widely known collaborations, with its star-studded music video racking up well over 300 million views.

“Yeah Right” by Vince Staples (featuring Kendrick Lamar and KUČKA)

SOPHIE’s production on rapper Vince Staples’ 2017 album Big Fish Theory is a great testament to how her signature avant-garde instrumentals transcended genres. “Yeah Right” was met with critical acclaim given its melding of techno elements and Vince Staples’ exemplary California rapping. If you’re not a big fan of pop music and still want to try out SOPHIE’s music, this track is a great place to start.

“1, 2, 3 Dayz Up” by Kim Petras (featuring SOPHIE)

SOPHIE produced this catchy track for fellow hyperpop artist Kim Petras. With its addictive electronic instrumentals and playful lyrics, “1, 2, 3 Dayz Up” is sure to get stuck in your head for days! This lighthearted dance bop is particularly notable for garnering praise within the LGBTQ+ community. Like Kim Petras, SOPHIE was a transgender woman and a leading LGBTQ+ advocate. Seeing these two trailblazers collaborate was a major moment in 2019 and helped make “1, 2, 3 Dayz Up” into an iconic party anthem. 

“Nights With You” by MØ

“Nights With You” by the Danish singer MØ was co-produced by SOPHIE in 2017. The song features slower paced production than most of SOPHIE’s electro-pop hits, yet it includes aspects of her signature techno sound. SOPHIE worked on “Nights With You” with several other major producers, including Benny Blanco. Following her death, Benny Blanco tweeted in remembrance of her and praised SOPHIE as one of the greatest producers of all time.

“Love Incredible” by Cashmere Cat (featuring Camila Cabello)

This song was co-written and co-produced by SOPHIE in 2017 and is a more accessible pop song for listeners who are not accustomed to the hyperpop sound. “Love Incredible” combines Camila Cabello’s smooth vocals with inventive warping and repetition, making the song both an easy and exciting listen. SOPHIE later teamed up with Cashmere Cat a second time to help with more futuristic production on his track “Back For You” for his second album, Princess Catgirl

“Faceshopping” by SOPHIE

This solo single by SOPHIE appeared on her Grammy-nominated 2018 album, OIL OF EVERY PEARL’S UN-INSIDES. “Faceshopping” is a tour de force of SOPHIE’s production and innovative lyricism. The song consists of nuanced commentary on self-image in the age of the internet. Her lyrics allude to past experiences with her appearance as a trans woman and subtly critique how social media influencers use their faces as brands and monetizable commodities. These serious lyrics are paired with chaotic techno instrumentals, creating a uniquely edgy sound. “Faceshopping” still stands as one of the best examples of the essence of SOPHIE’s sound.

Whether you’re a dedicated SOPHIE fan or have just recently heard her name in the news, these 7 songs are all great tastes of her musical talent. SOPHIE played a role behind the scenes for so many other artists; it’s about time to recognize how her talent shaped the industry. So add these songs to your playlist, and enjoy her innovative pop creations!

Kate is a third-year English major at UCLA, hailing from San Francisco. When she's not editing articles for Her Campus at UCLA, she enjoys getting lost in a good book and experimenting with vegan recipes.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.