Life > Experiences

7 At-Home Galentine’s Ideas For You And Your Roommates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Valentine’s Day isn’t just for romantic love.  It is also a great excuse to give your roommates a token of your appreciation.  Since it doesn’t seem like a girls’ night out is in the cards for everyone and their closest girl friends this year, I’ve been looking for something exciting to do from home.  So this February 13th, take a little time and show your roommates you care in one of these six ways:

Make Dinner

Whether you pull out all the pots and pans or surprise your roommates with delivery, a great way to celebrate your platonic love with your roommates is to surprise them and show some love.  Light a few candles, set the table nicely, dress up and you’re ready to sit down to a perfect platonic meal. If you feel a little less like dressing up, you can also curl up on the couch in front of the TV and watch a cheesy romance movie together. If you feel like some sweets, you can roast some marshmallows for s’mores or blend some smoothies for a cozy night in.

Game Night

Throw together what feels a little more like a party to celebrate your closest friends this quarantine season and find some board games or card games to start off the night. Grab a few of your roommates’ favorite drinks and snacks and play some virtual games. If you really want to lean into the romance theme, you can compare highlights and lowlights of your dating lives from best first dates to worst first dates.

Keep it sweet and eat some sugar

When in doubt for Valentine’s Day, go sweet or go home. It’s all about the candy. Cater to your roommate’s sweet tooth with some homemade cookies or candies. Spend some time together and bake some sugar cookies or a pretty heart-shaped cake. If they’re less into baked sweets and more into candy, try making a candy bark with some of my personal favorite candies, the conversation hearts.  

Wine and Paint Night

For a cozy night in, grab a few bottles of wine and a charcuterie board of cheese, crackers and meat. If you have a nice patio, you can sit outdoors and enjoy the fresh air and sunshine while you enjoy your treats while you paint. If it’s a bit too chilly, building a blanket fort in the living room will also bring together that perfect mix of adult and child and make this Galentine’s one to remember. You can choose to follow along with an online painting tutorial or paint something of your choosing.

Photoshoot

While this may seem like a typical thing to do, a roommate photoshoot is always super fun. My roommates and I love getting dressed up in a certain color palette and enjoy smiling (or not smiling!) for the camera after hours of primping and styling. If you can’t think of any specific ideas of your own, try copying old photos or famous paintings. Once you have taken the photos, you create your own DIY decor for your apartment to enjoy everyday. 

Spa Day

With so much stress in everyone’s lives these days, I’m sure your roommates could use some rest and relaxation. Spend the day in robes and face masks, painting each other’s nails and soaking your feet. If you have a bathtub, you can also use bath salts or a bath bomb to truly soak the day away.

Join HC UCLA’s Virtual Galentine’s!

Her Campus UCLA is hosting a virtual Galentine’s Day event on February 13 from 5:30PM to 7PM! We’ll have breakout rooms with a variety of different activities- from face masks to painting and self-care. DM us on Instagram for the Zoom link for an amazing Galentine’s Day event! 

It is important to remember that in the time and age of COVID-19, your roommates are quickly becoming some of the most important connections you have.  Strengthening every relationship takes work and since we spend so much time with our roommates, we should spend more time fostering those all too important connections.  Galentine’s Day is a great opportunity to put a little extra time into your roommate connections, so let’s get celebrating.

Alyssa Chew is a fourth-year Electrical Engineering major at UCLA. She is excited to be a Features Writer for Her Campus at UCLA and to get involved and explore Los Angeles. Alyssa hopes you enjoy reading her articles!