This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Documentaries are easy to skip over when perusing Netflix, but this genre is actually bursting with must-watch films. From relaxing arts and culture stories to political calls to action, there is an ever diversifying range of documentaries currently streaming. Even if you’ve always found documentaries boring and long-winded, I promise that at least one of these films will change your mind. Here are seven eye-opening Netflix documentaries for your every mood:

The Feel Good Documentary: Pick of the Litter

This movie chronicles the journey of five adorable puppies as they train to become guide dogs for the blind. Not only is each scene filled with the cutest pups which will melt your heart, but this film also explains the importance of guide dogs to the disabled community and shows how animals can transform people’s lives. I guarantee you will fall in love with the dogs and be on the edge of your seat rooting for them throughout their important education.

The Advocacy Documentary: Disclosure

A recent addition to Netflix’s catalog, this documentary is an essential crash course on the history of transgender representation. Hurtful stereotypes and myths surrounding the trans community are debunked by prominent trans folks in the entertainment industry, and interviewees explain how negative representation in cinema has led to real world anti-trans consequences. If you want to become a more critical media consumer or a better LGBTQ+ ally, this movie could be a great first step.

The True Crime Documentary: Casting JonBenet

Though you might have heard of the JonBenet murder case, you’ve never seen it analyzed in this manner. The film consists of interviews and clips of actors auditioning to play individuals involved with the infamous crime. This inventive format sets the documentary apart from its peers in the ever growing true crime genre and lends the movie a uniquely eerie tone. When watching the film, you will find yourself doubting if the crime will ever be solved and assessing how our society sensationalizes tragedies.

The Food Documentary: Salt Fat Acid Heat

In four episodes, Chef Samin Nosrat takes viewers around the world as she analyzes the key component of cooking: salt, fat, acid and heat. Each part of the series is brimming with mouth-watering shots of the food she prepares and helpful tips to up your game in the kitchen. Even if you aren’t a foodie, you’ll still enjoy this documentary for its beautiful scenery and Nosrat’s cheerful personality as she makes friends across the globe.

The Technology Documentary: The Social Dilemma

You’ve likely heard the buzz around this recent film, and I have to say, it lives up to the hype. This documentary spells out how social media is designed to be addictive, and it takes a deep dive into the dangers of society’s current tech obsession. The interviews with former Silicon Valley executives will shock you, and you’ll be forced to evaluate your own reliance on your phone. If you need an extra push to cut down on your screen time or are wondering why social media seems to be negatively affecting your mental health, give this film a watch.

The Music Documentary: BLACKPINK: Light Up The Sky

This film is a unique look into the lives of the world’s number one K-pop girl group, BLACKPINK. It details the rigorous process of rising to superstardom in the Korean music industry and provides a never seen before window into the lives of the four young singers. The movie deftly contrasts the highs of success with the lows of living within a cutthroat system. As a viewer with no background knowledge regarding K-pop, this documentary really helped me understand both the scope and the compelling nature of the Korean music phenomenon.

The Required Viewing Documentary: 13th

13th is an Oscar nominated film from 2016 which sadly remains as topical as ever. The watershed movie analyzes how the American prison system serves as a continuation of slavery, and it illuminates the insidious ways racial prejudice has continued within the U.S.’s politics. If you ever struggle with picking a show on Netflix, you can’t go wrong with watching (or rewatching) this difficult film on racial injustice. Now more than ever, in an election year marked by the resurgence of Black Lives Matter protests, this movie is truly required viewing.

Next time you are scrolling through Netflix, don’t skip over the documentaries! Check out these seven well-crafted and educational options. You won’t be disappointed.

Kate is a third-year English major at UCLA, hailing from San Francisco. When she's not editing articles for Her Campus at UCLA, she enjoys getting lost in a good book and experimenting with vegan recipes.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.