Valentines Day 2020 Hub Hero 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Valentines Day 2020 Hub Hero 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media

6 Ways To Treat Yourself This Valentine’s Day: Singles Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

I don’t know who needs to hear this, but Valentine’s Day is not just for those who are boo’d up! Before you write-off the holiday all together, I propose that you dedicate this Valentine’s Day to celebrating yourself. Especially after the year we’ve had, you deserve to show love to the person who has been there with you through it all: yourself! Here are 6 ways to spoil your beautiful self this Valentine’s day, and a few you can do with your friends as well!

Cook a Romantic Dinner for 1

For many of us, food is the way to our hearts, so what better way to show yourself some love than to cook a delicious meal? Put in some time preparing a special dish that makes your taste buds sing “Love Story (Taylor’s Version)” by Taylor Swift, no matter how long or how much effort it takes. If you’re feeling a little boujee, browse online and find a fancy recipe that looks appealing to you, cook it, put on some ambient music and light some candles! Plus, there’s no high stakes involved if you were trying to impress a special someone with a home cooked meal, so even if you fail, you can always just order takeout!

Make Yourself a Valentine

Oftentimes, it’s much too easy to get lost in our insecurities and forget what we love about ourselves. To express your artsy side and have a reminder of how magnificent you are, make yourself a V-Day card! Thank yourself for all that you do for you, give yourself some space to admire the beauty you have inside and out and tell yourself how worthy and deserving you are of love, happiness and everything you want in this life. And put some effort into the presentation too! Add cute stickers, heart drawings, glitter- whatever your heart desires.

Bake Yourself A Mini Cake

Have your cake and eat it too this Valentine’s Day! I have been dying over how adorable those minimalist cakes circulating social media are, and it seems like such a fun activity to bake one yourself, with family or over zoom with friends! It’s totally up to you how you go about making the cake, whether that be from scratch or a box mix, getting a heart shaped pan or cutting out the shape yourself and choosing the colorful decorations you want. Point is, just enjoy the process of perfectly crafting it to your taste buds!

Direct Your Own Themed Selfie Photoshoot

For all my ladies who want a confidence booster and to feel like a hot girl (though, hot girls are hot 24/7), get yourself dolled up with a makeup look and outfit on brand with the whole Valentine’s aesthetic and have a selfie photoshoot! Of course, your gorgeous face is enough to create some stunning pictures, but you can also get some supplies from the dollar or craft store (or even use stuff you have around the house) to add some props, like balloons, flowers, a nice backdrop and anything else you need to get some Vogue-worthy shots! Just because you aren’t leaving the house doesn’t mean you can’t ditch the pajamas for one day and look your finest!

Throw a Self Care Night

Sometimes the most luxurious way to treat yourself is to have a little self care night. Nourish your skin with your favorite face mask, pop open a bottle of sweet wine (Stella Rose Peach is *chef’s kiss*) and turn on a romance movie that will put you in your feels! You can stick with the classics from the early 2000s like Pride and Prejudice and 13 Going on 30, or go with a newer choice like Emma (the 2020 version with Anya-Taylor Joy) and the To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before Trilogy. You can also Netflix Party or Zoom with your friends to spread the love!

Don’t Forget the Gift!

Go ahead girl, buy yourself that thing you’ve had in your shopping cart for weeks! Think about it: if you had a significant other you probably would’ve spent money on them around this time, so don’t feel guilty for giving yourself a present. If you have a friend you want to show a little extra love to as well, put together a gift basket with their favorite candy, a personalized gift pertaining to an interest of theirs, flowers and something handmade (by you or a small business owner). The possibilities are endless!

Having a Valentine this year or any year doesn’t prove your worth as a person. If there is one takeaway you should get from this article, it’s that you are a human who is beautifully unique and infinitely deserving of love, so you should care for yourself as such! Happy Valentine’s Day to all you lovely ladies!

Mariah is a second-year English major at UCLA from Palmdale, CA. Besides being a feature writer for HerCampus UCLA, she is the creative director for the Equity and Accessibility team on UCLA's Academic Affairs Commission and a member of UCLA's Latinx Film and Theatre Association. In her spare time, Mariah loves finding hidden gems on Netflix, making earrings out of polymer clay, and writing stories.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.