brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Ways to Keep Up With People Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

I first met Kelly my freshman year of high school, so I can say we’ve been best friends for quite some time now. It was only natural really that we became close considering our commonalities. We were both Cantonese, took many of the same classes, and had countless mutual friends. 

When she found out I was applying to transfer from UCSB to UCLA, Kelly was over the moon. She was more excited than anyone else that I might be transferring. Come spring, I was accepted into UCLA, despite my fear that I wouldn’t, and Kelly got into her study abroad program in Hong Kong. 

My first quarter here is ironically the same time as Kelly’s semester in Hong Kong. I can say we’re both doing fine, trying our best to update each other about our lives halfway across the world and across time zones. Here are some of the ways to keep up with friends studying abroad. 

1. Instant Messaging (Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, Google Hangouts, Line App, KakaoTalk etc…) 

I’ve always appreciated instant messaging, in its forms, but I definitely appreciate it more so now. It’s often the quickest way to find someone. We mostly use Facebook Messenger, and my favorite feature is the “Active 9 hours ago” text beneath the person’s name. It’s the easiest way to see if she’s sleeping while I’m messaging her, and I know she’ll read it when she wakes up in the morning. (The time difference is SO REAL.) 

Most messaging apps can also send pictures, short videos and even voice clips, handy when you want to share your surroundings. Some messaging apps are also more popular in some countries than others. I know WhatsApp is big in Hong Kong, but in Korea KakaoTalk is where it’s at. 

2. Skype/FaceTime

Kelly has an iPhone 7, but I have an Android. People constantly nag me about having an Android because of the convenience of iMessage, FaceTime and Find My Friends. I understand the allure of FaceTiming your friends anywhere now, especially with my friends at UCSB and Kelly, but things are what they are. As a result, we mostly use Skype. FaceTime is only possible when she’s on her phone and I’m on my Mac. Another possibility is video calling on Facebook. I wouldn’t recommend Facebook video calling since it doesn’t have the best sound or video quality, but sometimes bad wifi calls for desperate measures. 

3. Letters

I wouldn’t advise sending letters overseas since it’s expensive and the letters often get delayed. Her birthday happens to fall in the summer, so I snuck in around 6 letters with her birthday present, pre-written for her to read later. You can write straight letters on line paper like I usually do with domestic friends. However, since she would be away for a while I wrote the letters on blank cards, and decorated the outside of the cards. It was just an extra touch of love to remind her of home. 

4. Finsta (“Fake Instagram account”) 

Finsta is a fairly odd concept to me, where people separate their finsta from their real Instagram account. On the real Instagram account people generally post beautiful, picture perfect photos and write deep, inspirational or descriptive captions. The finstas I know are where people go  to vent out their deepest, often troubling thoughts, and basically rant all they want about their lives. Thankfully, Kelly uses her finsta to upload pictures of countries she’s visited on the weekends, the friends she has made in Hong Kong and people (or often her two dogs) she misses from home. Instagram stories can also serve the same purpose. It’s just a cute way to see how she’s doing without directly asking her. 

5. Blog

Kelly received a scholarship to pay for her study abroad fees, and she said she was required to record her experiences while abroad somehow. A journal or a scrapbook could have worked probably, but she chose an online blog. I don’t think she expected her friends to read it as often as we actually do, and I am proud to say I am one of the top followers. It’s just fun to see her write down her thoughts and experiences in a blog, mostly because I never have any opportunity to read her writing. As an English major, I am well aware of how much you can tell about a person from their writing. Her words embody her character so much that it brings a smile to my face every time I read it. 

6. Online Photo Albums 

Another thing Kelly likes to do is put together photo albums of her adventures exploring other countries on Google Photos. She likes to look back at the photo albums herself, reminiscing about past trips, and those of us at home can also look the albums once she shares the link with us. Another popular option for the same purpose is Dropbox. 

These are just fun ways to keep up with people without constantly asking them, “How are you doing?” Ultimately, I try not to pester her too much since I want her to enjoy her life in Hong Kong while it lasts, and I know she’ll be back soon enough. Good luck in your efforts, and your friend will be back soon! 

Photos courtesy of Kelly and Kaitlyn Tang

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.