6 Reasons Why You Need To Watch the New Netflix Reboot of ‘She-Ra’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

As a child, He-Man was one of the shows I watched religiously. Action, fantasy and magic are the three genres I’ve loved forever. When She-Ra was introduced to me as a little girl, I was stoked! He-Man like elements with a female lead?! I was hooked. When I heard Noelle Stevenson was bringing back She-Ra with a completely different type of design, I was hopeful and cautious. I was hopeful for a more up-to-date and gripping storyline but I was cautious, because that is who I am as a person when it comes to things I am excited about. After binging through the entire series in a day, it’s safe to say that the show is my new obsession, and it is my mission to get as many people to watch this absolute gem of a show. Here’s why Netflix’s She-Ra Princesses Of Power is absolute princess goals:

1. It Sticks To its Roots While Showing Maturity.

Adora’s origins remain somewhat true to the original show. She is brought up by the Horde and believes in their cause till she stumbles on her destiny of wielding a giant sword to turn into a 10 foot tall Princess (Amazonian Goddess is my personal description). Unlike the original series, which in retrospect was a money grab attempt by toy companies to sell more toys, the new series explores the repercussions of finding out your entire world is a lie. It also shows the difficulty in making heroic decisions, and it lets you see Adora as more than just the all right protagonist.

2. The Best Friends are More Than Just Archetypes.

Bow and Glimmer are more than just side characters that further Adora’s arc as a hero. Bow is the kind, sensitive and strong friend anyone would wish to have. However, he never comes off as a pushover or “just nice,” and he has a righteous sense of justice and is not blinded by prejudice or hate. ​Gilmmer has her own struggles, like trying to be her own person without being in her mother’s shadows, all while simultaneously trying to become more open to people and resilient in the face of distress.

3. The Reinvention of Catra and the Horde.

Oh boy, I can’t even begin to say how much I enjoyed anything related to Catra and the Horde. Unlike her previous incarnation, Catra and Adora were best friends while training in the Horde. So this relationship gave a whole new context to Adora’s defection to the Rebellion side. Brought up together under the wings of Shadow Weaver, Adora’s status as the golden girl and Catra’s as the troublemaker, these two were as thick as thieves. Catra stayed on despite the harsh punishments dealt onto her, with the hope of rising up the ranks with Adora to change their future. It’s safe to say that their estrangement is an integral part of the show. But most importantly, the show humanizes Catra, despire what she has been through.

4. There is LGBTQ Representation.

With openly gay show-runner Noelle Stevenson, I expected representation. A giant sword transforming an ordinary girl into a 10 foot tall warrior with dazzling and colorful light and glitter, is the most out there nod to the alter egos that many in the LGBT community have to adopt. With tweets from Stevenson stating that until explicitly stated, all of her characters are part of the LGBT community, many fans were quick to latch onto all the subtle but impactful drawing choices: Bow’s binder like spa attire, Scorpia’s butch re-draw, the very visceral effect She-Ra has on all genders and perhaps most ardently the dynamic between Catra and Adora that just sizzles with chemistry.

5. It Has Body Diversity.

Another wonderful thing about the show is that it embraces the reality of the world, and the characters are drawn as actual people. With a range of different types of bodies in the main ensemble and supporting characters, Stevenson has created a world that acknowledges the body diversity of the world which isn’t just limited to size. While this has created friction amongst many male fans who were shocked to see plus size characters or realistically proportioned women, causing a response of sexualized versions of the characters, the general consensus is that this was a change much needed.

6. It’s Binge Worthy.

Last, but certainly not the least, with a gripping story tale, absolutely lovable characters, mature and emotional relationships and cool adventures, She-Ra is definitely binge worthy. With only one season out, the thirteen episodes, lasting twenty-five minutes each, you, too, can join me in the “I binged She-Ra in a Day and I need MORE club.” You will not regret it, I swear on the Honour of Grayskull!

Meghna is a writer for the HerCampus UCLA chapter. She is a second year who is double majoring in Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Genetics & Communication Studies. She loves photography, martial arts and is a huge superheroes and science fiction fan. While she isn't writing, she is part of a research lab in Gonda Neuroscience Building and is a part of the UCLA Debate Union amongst other things. Hit her up with a nerdy science joke to start a conversation.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.