Style > Decor

6 Plants That Even I Can’t Kill: What You Need To Add Some Green To Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

I will be the first to admit I do not have a green thumb. While so many people decorate with plants, I have always shied away from that for fear that I will end up with a bunch of dead, crumbling leaves in my dorm room.  

I know I am not alone. Plants are a great way to decorate, but busy college schedules make it difficult to take care of them. Succulents are cute and trendy, but they require more work than people realize. Their finicky nature means they have a very precise watering schedule; they cannot be overwatered or underwatered and are picky about where you keep them. However, there are plenty of plants that are suitable for dorm life and are not so easy to kill.    

Aloe

Aloe is a great plant to keep in your dorm.  It practically tells you when to water it since you are supposed to let the soil completely dry before you water it again (usually about every three weeks).  Aloe also has that succulent-esque look and thrives under the artificial dorm lighting.

Snake Plant

​The snake plant is also a good dorm plant.  Another succulent, the snake plant has thick waxy leaves and survives well even if you ignore it. It is the perfect plant, even when midterms take up all of your waking hours and you do not have a chance to water it.

Heart Leaf Philodendron

Heart leaf philodendrons are also good dorm plants. Traditional houseplants, they do well indoors and are fast growers. This specific type of philodendrons have heart-shaped leaves to add to the wow factor in your dorm room.  They are also ideal because they grow well in hanging pots and in trellises, saving you some precious space. 

Spider Plant

Considered one of the most adaptable houseplants and easiest to grow, the spider plant can grow in a wide range of conditions and has few problems to worry about. It prefers to dry out between waterings and enjoys lots of indirect sunlight. The spider plant is also a good plant for those who enjoy cooler temperatures, since it is most comfortable in temperatures from 55 to 65 degrees.

Rubber Plant

Rubber plants are also good for those who forget to water their green friends. These plants prefer to dry out between waterings and enjoy medium to high amounts of sunlight.  Watch out, though, because certain varieties drop leaves daily and can grow to be over 6 feet tall, so make sure you have enough space before you add one of these to your dorm room decor.  

Cactus

Another great idea for those cramped dorm room spaces without watering pots are small cacti.  For example, barrel cacti will grow indoors with enough sunlight and require very little water.  This adorable, round cacti is rarely found in the wild but because of its pleasing aesthetic, many people grow potted ones indoors or have them in their yards.

No matter how much time and effort you are willing to put into your plant, you can find a cute and easy way to maintain a piece of nature  in your study space.  And if, somehow, you manage to kill off the plants on this list, you can always stop by Target or Michael’s and pick up a fake plant to add color into your life without all the struggle.

Alyssa Chew is a fourth-year Electrical Engineering major at UCLA. She is excited to be a Features Writer for Her Campus at UCLA and to get involved and explore Los Angeles. Alyssa hopes you enjoy reading her articles!
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.