6 Marvel Movies To Watch Before The “Avengers: Endgame” Premiere

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

If you are like me, you are probably counting down the days until the Avengers: Endgame premiere this Thursday, April 28th. I have my ticket, I have my Avengers shirt, and I am absolutely ready to stake out in line outside the Westwood movie theater for a good seat. I am ready to fight for it. I am seeing the 10:30 pm premiere and I guarantee you that I will see it at least three times in theaters.

If you want to catch up on all of the hype and be a part of the greatest fandom in history (yes I may be biased but I am also right) OR you just want to be as prepared as possible to relish in the awesome bliss of the powerful and visually stimulating cinematic journey of the Marvel movies, I would suggest watching these 6 movies to prepare for it. It’s [end]game time.

Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

Avengers: Infinity War is first and foremost the most essential movie you need to see. You quite literally cannot see Avengers: Endgame until you have seen this movie. They are basically two halves of a whole movie, and they even shot the two movies together around the same time period. Many fans have been waiting for Aventers: Endgame since last April, when we first saw Avengers: Infinity War in theaters because the ending left us all stunned. I won’t spoil it in case you have not seen it, but it’s safe to say that all Marvel fans lost their minds. If you have any intention of watching Endgame and you have not yet seen this first film, I would exit out of this page and go download Avengers: Infinity War right now. Seriously. 

The Avengers (2012)

The Avengers was the first Avengers movie released by Marvel. At the time of its release in 2012, there had only been five individual Avenger movies, introducing the characters Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man and Thor. The Avengers stars these four heroes plus Black Widow, and it gives the foundation for the group dynamic between the original core team. You will notice the origins of Captain American and Iron Man’s beef, and the beginnings of Thor and Hulk’s funny friendship, as well as Black Widow and Hawkeye’s budding romance. By watching the first Avengers’ movie will enable you to see how the phenomenon began. 

Captain Marvel (2019)

I just recently saw Captain Marvel in theaters and everyone needs to see it for two main reasons. First, it is the highest grossing movie with a female lead ever. That is a monumental title and I believe the film earns it accordingly. Brie Larson is the powerful boss lady we all are inside. The second reason, which goes more along with my point here, is that the film explains a lot about the Avengers’ history. While this movie is the origin story of Captain Marvel, it is also shares a good portion of Nick Fury’s story. The film answers questions you probably did not even know you had, like how did Fury get his eye patch? Or where did he get that device at the end of *spoiler alert* Infinity War, and who was he contacting? How did the Avengers’ come together as a group? Who put them together? What are the origins of Shield? Watch this movie and it will tie up every loose end you are still wondering about in the back of your mind.

Thor (2011)

The first Thor movie is essential because it explains the origins of both Thor and his brother Loki. Loki is a recurring villain in almost every Marvel movie thereinafter. To understand where the feud all began, it would help to watch this movie (or refresh your brain if you have already seen it) so you can really understand the source of Loki’s bitterness (the basis for his life mission being to bring Thor to his ultimate demise). The most important reason why you should watch the first Thor installation, besides to better understand the brothers’ rivalry, is because although Loki is a villain, his origin story will make you pity him despite all the wrong he has committed. Loki’s interesting conflict of empathy makes the plot more complicated, and you will be able to see it unravel in future movies.

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

Captain America: The First Avenger is the first movie chronologically in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Watching this movie gives you a backstory to Captain America that is crucial for two reasons. The first is because he is one of the key members of the original Avengers team, so to understand his backstory is essential. The second reason is because he was born long before WWII, the question as to how he is still alive remains – unless you watch this film. After all, this film is the kick starter to the entire chronological journey!

Iron Man (2008)

Last but certainly not least, you need to prioritize Iron Man. The story of Tony Stark is one that weaves itself into the entire universe – even his father Howard Stark is in Captain America (the first chronological story) that takes place more than 50 years prior. Tony Stark is sort of an unspoken leader of the Avengers, as his strong personality and brave demeanor lead him to generally take over in almost every crisis. His business in technology development also takes helps the Avengers immensely, and to understand the context of this talent of his, you need to watch his movie. Robert Downey Jr. will not disappoint.

Even if you are not an avid Marvel fan, you have probably been exposed to the hype. Avengers: Endgame is expected to shatter box office records, and it even has a run time of over 3 hours. If you want to be a part of this revolutionary making of cinematic history – come see Endgame. The theaters are going to be packed, and as long as you watch these 6 movies to prepare, you will be ready for one of the greatest and most unforgettable viewing experiences you will ever have.

Grace is a senior at UCLA majoring in communications with a minor in film. In addition to being a Co-Senior Editor for Her Campus, Grace writes and models for FAST (Fashion and Student Trends).
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.