books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash
Career

6 Helpful Tips To Crush The LSAT

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

While the majority of college students spent their summers traveling abroad and relaxing under the sun, I spent mine stu(dying) for the LSAT. The LSAT is a test composed of five sections that one must take in order to apply to law school, though it has become a continuing trend for law schools to accept the GRE. While Elle Woods may have gotten a score of 179 out of 180 on the LSAT, a score this high is realistically very rare, with less than 1% of all test takers receiving it. In other words, yes, Elle, it is hard to get into Harvard Law.

Many of us are already familiar with standardized tests such as the SAT and the ACT. However, the LSAT is unlike both of these tests. Unlike these college entrance tests, the LSAT covers material that one most likely has not been exposed to. Rather than focus on vocabulary and mathematics, the test mainly covers one’s ability to analyze arguments and be well versed in logical reasoning. While this may sound pretty self explanatory, it is definitely something that requires a great deal of learning and practice. And no, rewatching Legally Blonde or binge watching episodes of Suits does not count.

If you are currently studying for the LSAT or are planning to take the LSAT in your future, here are some helpful tips to ensure you are making the most of your journey to becoming an attorney.

1. Take a Diagnostic LSAT Early!

By early, I mean up to a year before you plan on beginning your studies. It’s extremely important to see where you stand so that you can plan a study schedule that coincides with work and school.

2. Do Not Be Discouraged by a Low Diagnostic Score

Like I said before, the LSAT is probably unlike any other test you have taken before. With that being said, the test is learnable if you are willing to put in the work. Remember, your score can only improve!

3. Get Help If You Need It

One of the first things you will have to decide is whether you want to self study or enroll in an LSAT class, either in person or online. When making this decision, it is important to be honest with yourself about which method will push you the most. There are several LSAT prep books you could buy, as well as many companies, such as Blueprint and Kaplan, who offer LSAT prep courses.

4. Be Prepared to Not Have a Life​

Your LSAT score is perhaps the single most important thing when it comes to applying to law schools. Unlike applying to college, where they do a holistic review of prospective students, law schools focus mainly on a student’s scores. A high score could open the door to top tier law schools, unique career opportunities and scholarship money. With that being said, you will have to take your studying seriously and make sure you allow plenty of time to take several practice tests before test day.

5. Practice, Practice, Practice

Many of the skills you will learn when studying for the LSAT are new and will need time to sink in to your brain. First, you must practice on understanding the basics of logic and the different types of questions that the LSAT asks. Once you have plenty of practice identifying and understanding different question types, you must practice your accuracy. After you have become really good at the LSAT, you should be able to do it faster. This is when you have to practice your timing, as each section only allows you 35 minutes to complete it. Finally, it is extremely important to take as many practice exams as possible until you know the LSAT like the back of your hand. You want to take practice exams until you are seeing a steady score that you are happy with.

6. Only Take The LSAT When You Are Ready

Ideally, you should plan on only taking the LSAT once—twice if necessary. Law schools will get all of your scores, with some schools even averaging the total. Therefore, you should not take the LSAT “just for fun”, or to get a feel for it. It is important that your scores on the book reflect your highest potential. If you do not feel 100% confident in your score, it is perfectly okay to postpone your test date. Remember, even a couple points increase can open many doors for you.

In order to crush the LSAT, you really have to be motivated and make studying a priority. It is by no means an easy test, but it is conquerable if you are willing to put in the work. Hard work pays off, and if you are planning on attending law school, the hard work certainly does not stop after the LSAT.

Carly is a features writer for Her Campus at UCLA. In her free time she loves to sing, write, and spend time with her friends and family. 
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.