6 Creative & Calming Things I Like To Do In My Free Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

We all have our own unique interests and passions that we then turn into hobbies or blossoming careers. Identity is a culmination of our passions; these interests shape who we are and help us stay grounded in our values. Here are six things I like to do when I have some time to myself: 

Prose & Poetry

For me, words have always been easy to manipulate. I love toying around with the intricacies of wordplay and storytelling. My writing process begins with an idea that just comes to me. It could happen while I am out enjoying nature, spending time with loved ones or even just relaxing by myself. It feels like a spark of electricity in my brain that needs to be written down before it fades. I usually go back to the idea and expand upon it, but I sometimes like the impromptu story woven in the moment. 

Instagram

I treat my personal Instagram account like an art page. It takes careful planning and creative vision to arrange my feed the way it is. I make sure that my photos follow a similar color palette and theme so that the overview of my page looks cohesive and appealing. I really enjoy editing my photos and videos, and I love creating art out of social media.

Editing Videos

I love everything about film, but I especially love the editing process. Although I am no professional, I do enjoy creating and editing my own short films for fun. I like making mini travel vlogs, scenic collages and birthday messages for friends. The process is straining at times, but ultimately, it is rewarding once I can watch and share my hard work.

Embroidery

I have always loved the art of embroidery but had never gotten around to trying it until recently. Since I am a perfectionist at heart, this hobby is a little more challenging for me to master but very enjoyable nonetheless. I can now upcycle old clothing of mine by adding cute embroidery embellishments.

Drawing & Painting

Letting my fingers roam free on a fresh piece of paper or canvas is so fun and one of my favorite ways to decompress. I love making art and creating meaning out of nothing. Sometimes I put my emotions on display without even realizing it. Reflecting on my work allows me to see the hidden truths about myself and helps me find ways to address any inner turmoil. The entire process of making art is quite healing and therapeutic for me, so it is one of my go-to destressors. 

Cooking

I love to chef it up in the kitchen when I have the time. Cooking is a relaxing task for me and allows my brain to slow down and rest while also giving my body the nutrients it needs. I love making my mom’s recipes or trying new dishes recommended by friends and social media pages.

No matter what it is that you enjoy doing, keep it up! Don’t listen to anyone trying to steer you away from what you truly love doing. Be you and be proud! 

Kristin is a fourth year MCDB major and Film minor who loves to create art and bring a smile to people's faces. You can probably find her at the beach or in bed. Oh, and she is in love with cookies and cartoons.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.