Wellness

6 Bruins Share Their Stories About Staying Sane During This Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

I remember the days when I would complain about having to walk to class, go to club meetings and meet with people in general. Little did I know how the tables would turn. I would do anything now to return to those times of freedom and human interaction. Until then, I have gathered some of my friends’ and fellow Bruins’ anecdotes on what they have been doing to cope with the stress and frustration of staying at home. Read below for some inspiration and remember to be kind and gentle with yourself. 

Shayna Freedman

“I have been writing a lot. I think my sanity mostly comes from being creative. I am taking the quarter off, so I get to enjoy things I don’t get to do when I am taking classes. I am getting to read more and cook with more ease. I also Zoom with my friends quite a lot so I don’t get too lonely in this weird time. We either just talk or play games online together. When I get to see their faces and hear their voices I feel a sense of comfort even though we can’t be together physically.”

Nikhil Idiculla

“This quarantine, I finally cleaned my apartment. I fixed up my WiFi, cleared my sink and rearranged my furniture. Small changes can make a big difference when you spend all day indoors.”

Maria Blumenkrantz

“I’ve been quarantining at home with my family, and the primary thing that’s been keeping me sane has been writing a review article about my field of research. I think it’s important to still have goals and projects during this time! In addition to that, I’ve been reading a lot more and (trying) to play guitar. I’ve also had the time to exercise more and have modified my gym routine to be doable on the floor of my house. Additionally, I’ve been trying new forms of exercise, such as boxing and Latin dance.”

Saagarika Verma

“During the quarantine, it has been hard to stay motivated for my classes and other goals I have, but to stay sane, I’ve gone back to reading a lot of books like I did when I was younger. I’ve also been catching up on shows like Elite and Family Karma. I think the most important thing that has been keeping me sane this quarantine is knowing that I don’t have to be productive every second, because this is a hard time for all of us. I deserve to rest and take breaks, not demean myself for being unable to finish my goals in the same capacity that I used to before.”

Anonymous

“To stay sane during quarantine, I have tried to keep my mind busy. Like normal times, I try to balance recreation with academics. One way that I have lowered my anxiety is by trying to channel it into the things I am worried about: in what ways can I help my community with the pandemic? Even if it is not the biggest action…putting any action towards something I am worried about takes up time, keeps my mind active and generally makes me feel better. When I feel like my sanity is falling more drastically, I use various techniques to calm down that I learned throughout my time in therapy; therapy has given me the tools to manage my sanity when daily tasks are not working. Otherwise, recreationally I enjoy sitting in my sunny backyard, FaceTiming friends, watching YouTube and sewing all types of things.”

Lauren Buzzanco

“Amidst this quarantine, I’ve kept my sanity by scheduling my day to stay consistent and be productive, while still not overloading myself with homework and studying. Since I’m home, I’m now able to cook my own meals, as opposed to eating at the dining halls, so I’ve been keeping myself busy by cooking dinner every night. I’ve even begun to make copies of some dining hall favorites, like the De Neve omelettes, Covel pasta, and BPlate scallops to help me feel like I’m still at UCLA, because I truly miss living on the Hill.”

It may seem difficult now, but this crazy, weird time will pass eventually, and you will be able to return to your daily routines. All you can do in the meantime is make sure that you stay safe and sane. 

Kristin is a fourth year MCDB major and Film minor who loves to create art and bring a smile to people's faces. You can probably find her at the beach or in bed. Oh, and she is in love with cookies and cartoons.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.