This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

College can be quite stressful and can make you feel homesick often. When my mind takes a stroll down memory lane, I tend to linger on thoughts of food. We have very strong connections to food, especially our beloved dishes and home-cooked meals – they remind us of some of our best memories and favorite people. In the spirit of nostalgia and hunger, I decided to ask some friends and fellow Bruins what their favorite home-cooked meals:

Natalie Chan

“One of my favorite dishes is one my aunt makes every year for Christmas, and it is her tamales. They are made differently in different Latino cultures, and the ones from Guatemala (at least the ones my aunt makes) are moist, have chicken or pork and she puts olives as well as a “secret” sauce when she makes them. The recipe is passed down from my great grandmother, and it is always something we look forward to every year. My mom helps her prepare them, and I have helped before as well. It is very time-consuming but very much worth it. I like it because it is delicious, and it reminds me of home and family, something I value very much.”

Saagarika Verma

“I love this dish called dal bati, and I really like it because it reminds me of memories of my relatives and how we always make it during large get-togethers in my extended family. Every time I have it, I am always taken back to the feelings of being together with my extended family. The dish is like baked flour, and you make it in a special oven.”

George Shenusay

“Okonomiyaki: I have been making this Japanese dish with my family and friends since middle school. The name roughly translates to “cooked to your preference” which is good when you are cooking for a bunch of picky eaters. The batter- which consists of egg, flower, water and some other things- is simple to make and is usually tossed with chopped cabbage to make the foundation of the okonomiyaki. Aside from this, just as the name suggests, you can cook this to your preference by adding whatever you like. I like to put in mushrooms, onions and pork, whereas my dad likes to put in mung beans, fried eggs and salmon. You fry the batter and toppings in a frying pan just as you would a pancake, and when you are done, you can split the disc of food into six and enjoy with your friends and family. Okonomiyaki has changed some of my dreariest New York City nights to fun and messy kitchen parties with friends.”

Anonymous

“My favorite home-cooked meal is malpua, which are Indian-style pancakes that my mom will occasionally make on weekend mornings. She makes the batter with flour, sugar, eggs and saffron. In the morning, she fries it on the stove, and we eat the malpua with Cool Whip (traditionally, it is eatin with condensed milk, but I prefer our tradition of using Cool Whip instead). My mom has made this dish for years, so its flavor always reminds me of home. It is also really delicious; malpua are sweet and the saffron gives a unique taste compared to what you might find at say, iHOP.”

Meghna Komaranchath

“I love meen pollichathu. It is basically a fish wrapped in a banana leaf with the marinade, spices, onions, tomatoes, etc. on it. It is steamed, so the fish is really tender and flavorful, and you have a ready-made plate with the banana leaf. It goes amazingly with rice or a Kerala bread-like thing called appam made out of rice. It is also served with a fresh coconut to sip on, and you later eat the inner white meat as dessert. It is one of those dishes you miss when you do not get it, and only reaches full taste when your grandmother makes it. For me, I associate it with one of my vacations where all I did was have fun on our lagoon-facing property with my parents and grandparents, where we would go fishing and sometimes boating.

Om Kapoor

“My favorite dish is rajma chawal, which is basically kidney beans in a tomato and onion masala, served with rice. My mom used to make it for me as a celebratory meal whenever something big happened in our lives. The thing is, I am the only one in my family that really eats it, so my mom stopped making it when I left for school, but she still makes it every time I come back home.” 

Food is such an integral part of our lives and is connected to so many memories we hold dear. That is why a lot of people associate homesickness with missing home-cooked meals. A familiar scent or taste can take you back to the days of your childhood and make you reminisce about the times and traditions you share with your family. All in all, everyone has different dishes they love, so it is always interesting to see what food your friends enjoy and maybe even try something new! 

Kristin is a fourth year MCDB major and Film minor who loves to create art and bring a smile to people's faces. You can probably find her at the beach or in bed. Oh, and she is in love with cookies and cartoons.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.