Style > Decor

5 Ways To Make Your Dorm Feel Closer To Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

We’ve reached the time of year that homesickness is starting to set in. After almost two months of lectures, the wrapping up of midterms and Thanksgiving break still a week away, many of us (hello, me?) want for nothing more than our families, rooms and freedom from lecture halls. We have a couple of weeks left until university loses its grip on our souls and we return home for the holidays. Lucky for us, I’ve gathered a few ways to make your home away from home feel more, well, homey:

Photo Collages

If you’re missing your friends and family at home, I can’t recommend this idea enough. A photo collage is a great way to be reminded of the memories, people and love that you’ve experienced. All you need is a bunch of pictures of your friends, family, pets, etc. (go to Walgreens or CVS where they can print them for you) and a bunch of push pins or tape. Pin them up in a way that looks good to you and there you have it! This way, you can still wake up every day to your partner’s smiling face—even when they’re still 352.7 miles away.

BUILD-A-BEARS

I’m pretty sure Build-A-Bears are one of my favorite things, and for good reason. Who doesn’t love a huggable, cute plushie that has a recording of your loved one’s voice? This one is a tad more expensive, so it’s a great idea to ask for as a gift for the holidays. You can order a bear online, record your voice memo by calling their toll-free number, and have your friend shipped directly to you. The accessories and plushies are always changing, so keep a lookout for new ones.

Plants

It’s nice not to be the only living thing in your space. Spice things up by getting yourself a houseplant. Pick out a cute pot (that has good drainage) and a plant to go with it. Succulents are good for beginners. This is a beautiful decoration and a cute new friend all in one. Put it where it can get some sunlight and enjoy your plant’s company. Don’t worry, he’s a great listener.

Lighting
candles and a lamp on bed side table
Original photo by Lily Oneal

It can be really mentally taxing to be in the dark all of the time, and overhead lighting can be overstimulating. Invest in warm lights — in the forms of both desk and floor lamps — in order to make your room more livable. This will brighten up the space, both literally and metaphorically.

Decorations From home

Yes, this one is a bit of a cop-out, but it’s a great way to feel closer to home. If you’re going home for Thanksgiving break, bring back some things that remind you of home. Whether it’s a painting, a blanket, bookends or something else entirely, surround yourself with objects that bring you back home.

We hope that these suggestions have given you some inspiration to home-ify your room. When school is stressful, it’s important to remember your roots. Make sure to call the people who love you, and keep them in mind. You’ve got this. We’re proud of you, Bruins!

Jessica is a first year English major at UCLA. She loves both reading and writing, having even published her debut novel "The World Above the Waves" in 2022. When she isn't delving into literature, you can find her playing d&d, listening to music, or wherever either her twin sister or girlfriend are. She's so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team.