5 Ways to Listen to 1989 (Taylor’s Version) in “Style”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

The year was 2014, and pop music as we knew it changed forever — all starting with “Shake it Off.” As I’m sure we’re all aware, October 27 marked the release of Taylor Swift’s latest re-recorded album, this time being the classic 1989. Almost a decade since its original release, 1989 has remained firmly in my top three Taylor Swift albums, a ranking that may only climb with the addition of five new vault tracks. Such a momentous occasion requires a proper celebration. Here are the five things I did to get ready to listen to 1989 (Taylor’s Version) in all its glory. 

Go to the Beach

Yes, the album is being released in the fall, but I’m prepared to shout it from the rooftops: 1989 is a SUMMER album. Just look at the new album cover if you need proof! That being said, what better way to get in the mood and connect with the aesthetic of the album than a trip to the beach? Whether you’re relaxing on the sand with a book or playing mermaids in the ocean, the beach is the perfect place to get in the right headspace to listen to 1989 (Taylor’s Version).

sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Watch The Eras Tour Movie in Theaters

This one may feel self-explanatory for any Swiftie. If you haven’t had the chance to see Taylor live, it’s a great way to get a refresher of 1989’s greatest hits alongside the rest of her fantastic albums. It’s also a great way to get a sneak peek of what the re-recorded tracks are going to sound like in Taylor’s voice today. I for one can’t wait to sing and dance along as if I’m right there in Sofi stadium again.

Stream the Original Album One Last Time

The release of a new re-recording means saying goodbye to the original album. Before it’s time to make the switch, I plan on listening to the original 1989 as a last hurrah. If you don’t fully know all of the words yet, it’s also a great time to familiarize yourself so you can sing along to Taylor’s Version for the first time, and appreciate any of the subtle changes there may be. After all, Taylor’s always got a surprise in store…

Take Some Polaroids

Perhaps the most iconic aspect of the 1989 era are its legendary Polaroid photos. Even though you can’t see Taylor’s whole face in the photo, the original 1989 album cover is iconic in its own right: the red lipstick, the sweater and the writing on the Polaroid picture are recognizable from a mile away. You can recreate photos of Taylor both old and new to channel the 1989 vibes and really get in the mood to listen.

The Lalapolaroid Camera Pink Bag
Her Campus Media
Plan Your Listening Party

Finally, the main event! The last step to getting ready for 1989 (Taylor’s Version) is figuring out how you’re going to listen to the album itself. This means choosing the vibe that’s right for you, whether that’s a cozy night in or an all-out party with every single one of your Swiftie friends. Either way, make sure it’s a night to remember. It’s not every day that you get to relive the release of one of pop’s greatest albums.

It’s important to remember that listening to 1989 for the first time is a twice in a lifetime opportunity, and it should be treated as such! As we get down to the last few re-recordings in Taylor Swift’s discography, it’s only right to celebrate in style. Hopefully these tips will help you have the best experience possible — happy listening! 

Kelly is a second-year Communications major at UCLA from Pasadena, California. During her free time, she can usually be found lost in a book, grabbing a coffee, or obsessing over the latest reality TV show.