This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

UCLA has made it through week one of Spring Quarter. While many people are happy to see campus bustling with people like pre-COVID times, the general consensus is that one week of spring break was not enough. The quarter system is intense and after completing two quarters back to back with little break in between, many people are starting to feel burnt out, including myself. Heck, I’ve only had one week of classes, and I feel like I’ve gone through three. To cope with what I call “last quarter burn out,” I’ve created a list of strategies and I thought I would share:

Find Something To Look Forward To Everyday

It may sound cliche, but finding something good or to look forward to can give you the motivation to get through the day. While small things can make the day brighter, the key is to make sure that you have something to look forward to that takes up enough time to change your mood. For example, I love Wordle, but the game isn’t long enough to make me happy and “affect my mood.” Mood-changing time is different for everyone, but I say at least 30 minutes minimum is needed. This time can be hard to find during the workweek, but it can be as simple as making your favorite meal, doing a hobby or extracurricular, meeting up with a friend or watching your favorite sitcom.

Establish a routine that you’ve wanted to get back on

Spring is all about new beginnings, so get back on those routines and goals. Personally, my newly re-established routine has been related to exercise, and keeping myself accountable to it helps me feel accomplished. It feels good to have an accomplishment not tied to academia. This routine does not have to be fitness-related; it can be related to sleep, food, time management with friends, etc.

Make a “Break Plan” Every Week

A promise to myself this quarter was to give myself “a break plan” every week. A break plan is when you plan to do something that forces you to take a break from school, obligations, anything that causes you stress (which can include intense extracurriculars, it’s okay to admit certain clubs, societies, teams, etc. are not always an escape from workload stress). I try to do my break plan on weekends, and they have included things such as brunch, exploring flea markets, checking out museums and exploring around Los Angeles. Break plans are especially great when you can get off-campus and out of Westwood.

Think Ahead: Plan A Great Weekend For Memorial Day

We don’t have another break for a while, but there’s no reason not to think about our next three-day weekend, Memorial Day! I am planning to do a weekend trip with my friends and find a cheap Airbnb somewhere in Southern California. If you are planning to do a trip or a day getaway, it’s better to start planning now to secure tickets and reservations, and the prices will only go up the longer you wait. It gives you something to look forward to.

Being Grateful For An In-Person Spring

This is UCLA’s fully in-person quarter in two years! For upperclassmen, it’s a reminder of how things were during the beginning of our college experience. We finally get to live the things that made UCLA so great and salvage the rest of our time. For younger classmen, they get the full UCLA experience. Sure, there are crowds and it can be overwhelming, but there are new chances for connections, interactions and activities that weren’t even possible a year ago. Let’s look on the bright side and make this quarter the best one.

The Lalatalking Between Classes
Her Campus Media

This quarter can feel like a challenge. Trust me, I get it. But rather than having spring quarter control us, let’s control it with fun plans, a balanced schedule and a positive mindset. Let’s do this, Bruins!

BriannaRose is a UCLA Communications major and Film/TV minor who aspires to break boundaries and stigmas. As an aspiring creative director and editorial writer, she works on student films and photography projects, and has professional experience in entertainment and fashion journalism, fashion public relations and internal communications for cable. In addition to writing, BriannaRose volunteers at local animal shelters, competes in pageants, and is always excited to read a contemporary romance novel.