Style

5 Ways to Instantly Look More Put Together

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

College is a juggling act. As we fill our arms with assignments, exams, deadlines and extracurriculars, we struggle to maintain our hold on our relationships, health and appearance. While the added weight of late nights and stacked schedules may tempt us to drop the ball on these non-academic aspects of our lives, it is entirely possible (and surprisingly easy) to lighten our loads instead. Simplifying even one of your personal priorities can make you feel more prepared to take on the world. I recommend starting with the easiest area to implement change, and the most frequently neglected: outward presentation. Looking more put together will make you feel more prepared to take on the world, and with these five tips, you’ll save time and energy with no personal expense.

Start From The Bottom And Work Your Way Up (Literally)

Looking more put together can be as simple as giving your underwear, that oft-overlooked foundation of every outfit, the attention it deserves. Choosing a pair of panties that doesn’t show through clothing and sits flat on your skin will minimize distracting lines and maximize the impact of your look. Similarly, wearing a bra that contours your shape, matches your clothing and doesn’t slip, makes you look infinitely tidier. Just remember – good underwear will look and feel invisible.

Fiddle With Your Fit

Once you have your base layer sorted, consider how your clothing can be manipulated to flatter your figure. Even a simple t-shirt and jeans can be transformed by methodical styling: try tucking in your t-shirt to accentuate your waist, belting your jeans so that they hug you in or cuffing your pant legs to elongate your silhouette. These minor adjustments are the key to making any outfit look meticulously tailored.

Add On Accessories

The transformative power of coordinated accessories can not be understated. A matching necklace and earrings are wardrobe essentials, and inject instant polish and flair into any outfit. For extra pizzazz, throw on a belt or experiment with colorful headbands. Keep colors consistent to add cohesion to your look.

Consolidate!

How you present yourself matters just as much, if not more, than the clothing you wear. In that vein, consolidating your items into one bag will help you look all the more tidy and organized. It will also save you from the stress of juggling your laptop, water bottle, phone, room key and earbuds, freeing your mind to calmly engage with the surrounding world.

Walk With Purpose

This is a skill that all powerful women have mastered. To tap into your inner Anna Wintour, straighten your back, keep your head up and take quick, sure strides. You’ll exude confidence and focus, and you may just find yourself getting places faster.

Just a few simple changes to your routine can make an enormous, positive impact on how you present yourself. Walk with purpose – don’t run- into the final weeks of the quarter, and know you have the skills you need to transform this juggling act into a feat of balance.

Althea is a freshman at UCLA. Her favorite things are fashion, exploring new places, and her dog- in that order. You can follow her insta @althea.zhao!
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.