5 TV Shows You Should Be Watching But Probably Aren’t

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Oftentimes, TV shows start to mimic each other to the point where you feel like you are watching the same characters and plots over and over again! We’ve compiled a list of some TV shows that are a lot more diverse than the mainstream shows you hear about!*

1. Sherlock

If you’re looking for something to challenge you mentally and intellectually then this is the show for you! The way each episode unfolds makes you think deeply about everything you see and hear. This is definitely a show that requires your undivided attention and is guaranteed to leave you feeling you’ve learned something significant about human nature. Benedict Cumberbatch plays Sherlock, and he is a fantastic actor whose delivery is nothing short of hilarious! 10/10 would recommend!

2. Shameless

Although the premise of this show is actually pretty sad – it follows a low income family with an alcoholic father and an absent mother living in the south side of Chicago – it’s actually very funny! Shameless encourages you to find the humor in the bleakest of situations! Emmy Rossum’s character Fiona, the oldest of the six children, is arguably the hardest working young woman on TV. In many ways she is a role model to young women everywhere, reminding us that no one is perfect and that despite our circumstances, our flaws, and other people’s opinions, we are capable of achieving whatever we deem as success! Disclaimer: this show is very graphic so be prepared!

3. Fresh Meat

This show is a beautiful disaster! It depicts college life in the UK so comically and in a way that makes the plot and characters so relatable to any college student around the world. The show follows a group of six college students who find themselves in a university house together after missing the deadline to apply for the residence halls. If you remember your freshman year and you thought it was insane, we are 100 percent sure it wasn’t as crazy as the freshman year that these characters had! So if you’re looking to reminisce or just feel better about where you are in your college career then you should check this show out!

4. Chewing Gum

We have to admit that this show is quite strange! It can be confusing at first, but ultimately so worthwhile! The show follows a 24-year old girl named Tracy who lives in a council estate in London and is desperately trying to lose her virginity. Apart from being extremely funny, this show raises some important questions about sexuality, identity, and multiculturalism.

5. Are You the One?

Hands down, this is the best reality show on TV! Yes, I know The Bachelor is great, but this is even better because it’s not just about love – it’s also about money! In 10 weeks, 10 women and 10 men must find their respective perfect match! If everyone finds their perfect match in 10 weeks, then the contestants win a million dollars. Contestants compete in challenges to get dates so that they can get to know each other and hopefully find their perfect match. Every week, the house gets to vote a couple to go into the truth booth where they get to find out if they are a perfect match. If they are, then they spend the rest of the show together in the honeymoon suite. If not, then it’s back to the drawing board! At the beam ceremony every week, the women and men switch between picking who they think their perfect match is and for every perfect match a beam of light lights up! So the contestants know how many perfect matches there are at the ceremony but not who the matches are! If you’re looking for a show that’s as intense as it is ratchet, then you need to watch this!

Hope you enjoy binge watching all these shows! 

*All of these shows are available on Netflix, except for the last one which is available on the MTV website.

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.