5 Tips For Incoming Transfer Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Congratulations to all the incoming Transfer Students! Feeling both nervous and excited is normal; I felt the same way when I first committed to UCLA as a transfer. Here are five tips every transfer student needs to know.

1. Live in the Transfer Dorms: Living in the transfer dorms provides you with a community of other transfers that you can rely on for support. My friends who chose to live in apartments because they wanted to be independent regretted not having this experience.

2. Don’t feel discouraged by Transfer Stigma: Stigma against transfer students exists at most universities. Many students feel that we had any easier chance of getting into school than they did. Remember, the school accepted you because someone recognized your hard work–you deserve to be at the school you are at.  

3. Get involved as soon as you can: As transfer students we only have two years, leaving little room for procrastination regarding joining clubs and getting involved in other campus organizations. This is also a great way to meet friends who share similar interests as yourself.

4. Build your resume rather than your alcohol tolerance: As a transfer student our priorities are different than freshman. While freshman have time to party every single weekend, we are going to be in the workforce in two years. Focus your energy on building your resume by looking for internships and jobs, and then have fun.

5. Read the many emails from your department adviser: During my first two years of college, I always ignored the emails my advisor sent. However, when I finally started opening them when I transferred to UCLA, I learned that they contained all kinds of helpful information from scholarship opportunities to job listings. 

Hannah Wren is an English major and Digital Humanities minor on the Dean's Honors List for outstanding academic performance at UCLA. Hannah loves to write and has ample writing experience outside of school. Currently, she works at 7 Generation Games where she creates content for their website to engage and inspire their users. When she is not writing or working, she enjoys spending time with her family, bonding with friends and reading. After she graduates college, Hannah hopes to become a UX designer, entertainment journalist and publish a novel.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.