5 Things You Need to Know About the KPOP group That’s Making History

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

BTS, is a seven-member boy band group from Korea, making history which each and every move they make. The group has recently completed the U.S, leg of their highly popular world tour ‘BTS Live Trilogy III:The Wings Tour’. How popular, you may ask? Tickets sold out in minutes, and the high demand led to two more show dates. All five show dates were sold out, and they performed for a combined audience of over 60,000, a feat hard to reach for even the most successful Korean artists when touring in the U.S.

Following their successful tour in the U.S., was the announcement of their nomination for a Billboard Music Award, under the category ‘Top Social Artist’. Not only are they the first ever Korean group to be nominated for the award, but they’ll be contending against top artists such as Selena Gomez, Shawn Mendes, Ariana Grande and Justin Bieber.

While BTS is performing spectacularly in the American music scene, they’re not as widely known as fans would like. Here’s a rundown on everything you need to know about the group you’re going to want to follow.  

1.They’re a Seven Member Group 

The group is comprised of seven members, each with their own special set of talents.

Firstly, (From Left to Right) there’s Suga, Rap Monster, Jungkook, Jin, V, J-Hope and Jimin. The group is generally split into two categories, the rap line comprised of Rap Monster, Suga and J-Hope, and the vocal line, Jungkook, Jin, V and Jimin. If you’re daunted by the amount of members, seven is fairly tame compared to other KPop groups whose numbers can reach up to thirteen!

2. They’re Uniquely Talented

Each member was a rising star before they became a group.

Rap Monster and Suga were both prominent underground rappers in their respective cities.

J-Hope, was part of a dance crew winning multiple battles and performing at festivals. Jimin was the top student at a dance acadamy. V and Jin were scouted for their good looks, and finally Jungkook was given offers by seven different agencies after he showed his talents on a reality tv music show.

3. They Write and Produce Most of Their Music

BTS is different from most Kpop groups, and even American ones, because they write and produce most of their music. For their most recent album WINGS, Rap Monster participated in creating 11 of its 15 tracks. Suga also heavily contributes, being known as the lyricist of the group, while J-Hope creates most of the catchy chorus’. Beyond that, their music tackles difficult subjects such bullying, the pursuit of happiness and rejecting societal expectations. Whereas other Kpop groups shy away from such heavy subject, BTS confronts them head on, unabashedly creating tracks about mental health and even female empowerment,

4. They Attribute their Success to their Fandom

Pictures Above: Co-ordinated by fans, every audience in the U.S. created a “rainbow ocean” by placing colored bags over their light sticks.

You’ve probably scrolled through countless youtube videos and instagram accounts and have  been totally confused to see the seemingly random phrase “ARMY here!”. BTS’ fandom is called ARMY, and they make their presence known. Whether it’s through innocently commenting throughout Youtube or asking Gucci to make one of their members a brand representative.  BTS’ music videos continually break records for most views in 24 hours due to fan efforts.

5. Their Social Media Presence is Overwhelming

BTS was given its own Twitter emoji, a mini bulletproof vest. It’s a result of being named through Forbes as the most retweeted artist in 2016. Beyond having a large twitter following ( over five million), the group has other ways of connecting to fans such as their Vlive channel, a social media platform where they answer fan questions as they come in, play games and put on skits. In a word, it’s addictive, there’s always something to watch and fan over.

So, if you love a mixture of RnB, Pop and Rap, the Boppin’ balance BTS strives for in their music; if you love super sharp choreography; if you love a good underdog story, which BTS undoubtedly is; and if you’re ready to find out what makes this group a top world-class act, just give them a listen.

Photographs courtesy of Big Hit Entertainment Offical Facebook 

Helen Zapata is a sophomore majoring in English at UCLA. Beyond writing she loves crafting, gardening, planning elaborate birthday parties and reading bad romance novels.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.