Life > Experiences

5 Things I Learned When I Accidentally Backpacked Through Europe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Traveling during peak season means only one thing: guaranteed trouble. My two friends and I fell victim to this unspoken rule, as we embarked on our long-awaited month-long European extravaganza. As I departed from LAX to Dublin, I knew nothing of my friends’ chaotic flight the day before. While I munched on my duty-free snacks and enjoyed three Spider-Man movies back-to-back, Erica and Sophi found themselves with a canceled layover and lost luggage. What ensued when I landed was a frantic search for baggage at Dublin Airport, our hopes for cute fits and full-sized toiletries dwindling by the minute. A shopping trip to what we dubbed the “Irish Forever 21,” also known as Penneys, confirmed our next steps: we would be facing the next month without any of our belongings. With nothing but our duffel bags, the three of us departed the following evening, unsure of what was to come from our adventure.

Regardless of the initial hassle, I very quickly learned what you should and shouldn’t do when facing hostels for a month straight as well as why bringing only a duffel bag may have been a blessing in disguise. Here are a few things I learned when I accidentally went backpacking through Europe.

CLOTHES SHOULD BE THE LEAST OF YOUR CONCERNS

I know. This one’s obvious. But admittedly, I went into my trip with a subconscious expectation of somehow magically dressing amazingly every day and having the perfect Instagram photos to match. My naiveté was quickly squashed in about a week’s time when I came to appreciate the efficiency of a capsule wardrobe and how less of an emphasis on myself gave me more time to appreciate the amazing cultures surrounding me.

Meeting People Is The Best Part

Staying in hostels meant that I came into contact with a lot of different cultures. Despite meeting many Americans (and even some fellow Bruins abroad), the hostels’ patrons were a hodgepodge of different identities and experiences from all different walks of life. Every day involved meeting new people, and subsequently, every day challenged an existing ideology or belief of mine. I met an Irish man with a knack for rock music and painted fingernails that believed Americans simply focus too much on the future. In his words, we were too caught up on “checking off the list” when we should just be “enjoying the list.” Simply stated and told in a sarcastic and comedic tone, it still got my gears turning, and I constantly reminded myself to “enjoy the list” during the remainder of my trip.

Expect Issues

Sleeping on the floor of the Nice airport wasn’t something I necessarily expected to do when booking my trip. Neither was missing a bus and nearly getting stranded in Verona for a night. Or even rushing my friend to the hospital when she discovered a random new food allergy. The list goes on! Every day involved some kind of new issue that my friends and I had to figure out. These moments were incredibly stressful and tricky, but they are to be expected with the amount of traveling we were doing. And honestly, these conflicts usually culminated in some of my favorite memories. It’s essential to not take yourself too seriously! Make sure to stay calm when you’re figuring out a game plan, but learn to laugh it off later on. Our nights ended with all of us poking fun at one another and recounting all the insanity that we went through, relieved and glad that we had each other’s backs when things got tough.

Don’t Plan Everything

I am a worry-wart at heart. I like to plan ahead of time and spontaneity isn’t something I’m usually comfortable with. However, going into a month of travel, it’s impossible to plan for every little thing. And trust me, I tried. My week before leaving was spent anxiety-ridden, worried that my friends and I wouldn’t get the best experience if we didn’t know all of the best places to go according to random travel websites. Looking back, I know now that planning for a month-long trip isn’t efficient. My friends and I arriving in the south of France really showed us how having a full schedule everyday was mentally and physically exhausting. I recommend not putting pressure on yourself and just going with the flow. Listen to your body and be realistic about what you can do, and then go from there!

Figure Out Your FINANCES Before Leaving

Although you shouldn’t plan everything about your trip, you should definitely have your finances in order. I worked for most of the school year and saved up money in order to be able to afford the trip. Setting a budget and savings goal should be your first step! Alongside that, I highly recommend that if you plan to use cash, that you get your money exchanged before leaving! Exchange rates differ based on where you go, so make sure to do your research and get it done ahead of time. I also recommend using a credit card for your trip if that is applicable to your situation. I made sure to have a card that rewards points based on travel. Most importantly, I think that saving up and creating a personal goal for how much you are planning on spending is the best way to make sure you aren’t worrying during your trip.

Getting the opportunity to travel with some of my closest friends this past summer was probably the best decision I’ve ever made. Experiencing new cultures and meeting people is something that I will never take for granted. I urge anyone that has the chance to go and travel to always say yes to that opportunity!

Madenn is a fourth-year Political Science student with a minor in Conservation Biology at UCLA. She is passionate about all things environment, pop culture, and activism!